UN WebBuy Application Architect
Background Information - Job-specific
The UN Web Buy team is part of UNOPS Shared Services Centre (SSC), which provides policy advice, operational support, and transactional services to UNOPS offices, and is responsible for the administrative support to HQ and Copenhagen-based personnel.
UN Web Buy (unwebbuyplus.org) is UNOPS e-commerce solution for the humanitarian and development sector. Through UN Web Buy, partners can access UNOPS procurement services for selected commodities based on Long Term Agreements. The platform went through a complete redesign in 2017 and is constantly being updated with new functionality.
The UN Web Buy team is responsible for the UN Web Buy service and for the development and maintenance of the system. The UN Web Buy operations team is based in Copenhagen, from where it provides global procurement services through the UN Web Buy platform.
This position is the first of three in the system development team, which is being relocated to Bangkok.
Under the supervision of the UN WebBuy Team Lead, the UN WebBuy Application Architect will be responsible for developing high quality, secure, scalable, and maintainable code artefacts to support and enhance the UN WebBuy platform for use by UN WebBuy users.
The position is dedicated to delivering technical services for the UN WebBuy platform only.
1. Develops and Enhances the UN WebBuy platform:
- Develops/ modifies the architecture for the UN WebBuy platform to accommodate business needs
- Implements internal and externally facing applications through the development of code utilising:
- .NET C#
- SQL Server
- Analyses, designs, coordinates and develops detailed technical specifications and translates them into solutions
- Ensures optimal performance, scalability, and usability of business applications by adhering to established and evolving architectural standards developed by the Enterprise Architecture and Platforms team
- Maintains detailed technical documentation
2. Performs technical review and testing of code of UN WebBuy platform
- Reviews own and other team members / external developers code to ensure quality and adherence to coding standards and practices instituted by the UNOPS ICT team
- Performs technical testing of existing and new functionality and when upgrades / patches are applied
- Adequately documents all work activities, including code specifications and test plans
3. Embeds relevant knowledge management and innovation within the UN WebBuy Development function
- Contributes ideas, concerns and suggested approaches during technical design sessions with other developers
- Contributes to the specification of UN WebBuy, ensuring high graphical and UX standards are met and brand consistency is adhered to as specified by the UNOPS ICT Enterprise Architecture and Platforms team
- Contributes through evidence-based opinions during UX design sessions with other developers and provides feedback to the UNOPS ICT Enterprise Architecture and Platforms team on established design standards
- Stays up to date with emerging technologies and where appropriate, advocates for their consideration
- Advocates for the development of new, innovative concepts that could be implemented in addition to or as a replacement for existing solutions
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology and Information Systems or other relevant discipline is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in combination with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Secondary education in combination with additional eight years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master's degree.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience as .NET C# developer.
- Good knowledge and understanding of Web Service API’s especially in regard to integration.
- Good SQL skills (MS SQL Server) are required (3 years).
- 3 years of experience with AngularJS is required.
- Ability to get hands on and be comfortable with bespoke interfaces.
- Experience with developing business applications within large and complex enterprise IT. environments would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience with e-commerce systems is desired.
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: I-ICA 1
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.