IT Engineer – Air Traffic Simulations
- Function title: IT Engineer – Air Traffic Simulations
- Reference: NOC-NOC-DE-2019-FGIV/149
- Location: Brétigny-sur-Orge
- Nature of the competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL
- Grades: 13/15
- Generic post: Junior Specialist (FG-IV) (13/15)
- Number of posts: 2
- Duration: 3 Year(s)
- Security clearance: Security vetting may be required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security provisions
- Directorate/Service: DECMA/INO/VIF - Simulation & Validation Infrastructure Unit
- Competition publication date: 17/10/2019
- Competition closing date: 14/11/2019 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Directorate European Civil-Military Aviation, the Division Innovation manages all Agency research & development (R&D) and innovation activities in coordination with other Directorates. The R&D work is mainly organised through SESAR, covering also participation in H2020 projects and engagement in international research coordination, and consultation groups. Innovation manages and develops the Agency’s Validation Infrastructure including the organisation of real-time simulation services.
You will perform the following tasks under the responsibility of your superior:
- lead, manage and coordinate the preparation, development, testing, acceptance and delivery of a realistic and reliable real-time simulation platform according to the agreed requirements;
- install, maintain and support the ESCAPE ATC real-time simulator and associated tools;
- ensure proper execution of the real-time simulation exercises: capture, analyse and negotiate requirements with external customers and transform them into technical solutions; plan, coordinate and supervise technical activities related to their implementation;
- actively contribute with expertise to debriefings, project meetings and management or supervision of problem reporting and correction, and contribute to lessons learned;
- provide general engineering and software support, as required;
- maintain close coordination with internal services in charge of the platform development to submit and negotiate change request, test platform update, etc.;
- propose improvements, new tools and methods based on lessons learned from previous projects, for example, and in particular for complex and large simulations;
- perform any other tasks in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- University degree of at least 3 years in a relevant domain (e.g. IT). A relevant Master degree would be considered an advantage.
- Professional training of an equivalent level, for example, in ATM system development, ATM real-time simulations, training systems or in another relevant area will be considered.
- Minimum 1 year experience in the management of IT systems (configuration and programming) ideally in the field of Air Traffic Control (operational, training or simulation).
- Experience / Skills in project management in engineering or in software development.
- Experience in the use of Linux including network and shell scripting.
- Experience / Understanding in configuration management and modern software development techniques.
- Experience in software and technical requirement capture.
- Drafting skills (English).
- Analytical thinking: Analyses information and identifies relationships
- Problem solving: Anticipates and solves business issues
- Communication: Fosters two-way communication
- Result focus: Seeks to improve personal performance
- Influencing: Persuades others through the skilful use of available information
- Autonomous approach.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, customer focus, teamwork, readiness to change and integrity.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this post, a thorough knowledge of English (oral/written) is required and a satisfactory knowledge of French to the extent necessary to perform the described duties.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
- At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- The selected candidate will be offered a contract of 3 Year(s) pursuant to the provisions of the Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL. The contract may be renewed. Before being established in the post, he/she will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed in principle at the basic grade of the advertised grades.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the approval of the selection board’s recommendations.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, age, disability, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, religion or belief, marital or parental status and sexual orientation.
In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics.
- Candidates should go to our Jobs website and read the tips on how to apply. Item 1 includes information on the EUROCONTROL competency models (technical & behavioural) – Candidates should refer to the behavioural competency model to know the behaviours expected for the different levels.