Portfolio Project Manager, Climate Change and DRR Resilience, UNDP
Duties and Responsibilities
- Effective planning and project implementation with the participation of all stakeholders in accordance with the Project Document;
- Preparation, monitoring and implementation of annual project work plans;
- Organization and management of the project implementation team;
- Development of terms of reference and contracts for national and international experts;
- Ensuring effective interaction with relevant government authorities, academic institutions, NGOs and other stakeholders;
- Relations development with other relevant GEF projects or other regional projects;
- Dissemination of project activities and outcomes information to project partners and the general public;
- Supervision of internal quality control processes, including the creation of risks logs, problems and indicators of the project activities quality, monitoring and maintaining these logs, as well as making the necessary changes;
- Reporting on the project’s progress in accordance with the Project Document.
- Providing the necessary information to independent third-party appraisers of the project;
- Regular reporting and communication with the Project Board and UNDP on the status of the project, including information on emerging issues;
- Monitor the project’s expenditure by appointment in accordance with the approved budget of each Outcome of the project;
- Monitoring and coordination of the co-financing provision as provided for in the Project Document;
- Secure development of all outcomes of the projects in consistent with available methodologies and guidebooks;
- Final expert review of developed analytical and technical reports;
- Deliver expert information to the decisionmakers and counterparts;
- Develop final versions of the analytical reports on GHG inventory, vulnerability and assessment, national circumstances NC and BR etc;
- Methodological and expert support of all involved experts and project staff;
- Mainstreaming Gender issues to the project realization;
- Mainstreaming climate change in the national priorities and national projects.
- Ensure that the risks of their reduction are monitored as effectively as possible;
- Inform the Project Board (PMC) and relevant stakeholders on the progress of the project;
- PMC’s meetings organization;
- Plan project activities and monitor progress according to quality criteria;
- Mobilize the procurement of goods and services for the project activities, including the development of terms of reference and work specifications;
- Manage requests for the UNDP financial resources provision using advances, direct payments, or reimbursements;
- Manage and control the project’s risks, as originally defined in the Project Document, to present new risks to the PMC for consideration and decision making on possible actions, if necessary; update the status of these risks by maintaining a project risk log;
- Provide project problem management and project change requests by logging requests;
- As required, prepare a quarterly report on the project (progress compared to planned activities, updated information on risks and problems, expenditures in the UNDP format) and a quarterly operational report and submit reports to the PIT;
- Prepare an Annual Overview Report (UNDP format) and submit reports to the PMC and GEF; prepare an Annual Work Plan (AWP) and an Annual Procurement Plan during the project;
- Monitor the implementation of project components, analyze problems impeding their implementation and take appropriate measures to ensure timely provision of required resources and outcomes achievement throughout the project;
- Monitoring of financial resources and accounting to ensure the accuracy and reliability of financial statements, including a proper use of funds and delivery, budget review, funds availability, accounts reconciliation and establishment of internal controls. Serves as a focal point for communication with auditors and ensures follow-up actions. Provides accuracy and reliability of financial information and statements;
- Prepare the final CDR for signing by UNDP and the Implementing Partner;
- Monitoring and promotion of advocacy in the media, writing success stories, coverage in Newspapers, PR campaigns;
- Organize work meetings, workshops and round tables to present the project’s outcomes to all interested parties. Facilitate relevant UNDP thematic events such as publications, knowledge exchange and panel discussions;
- Liaise with other UNDP and UNDP-GEF funded projects to implement possible synergies and report to UNDP and the national partner on the activities undertaken;
- Carrying out the mobilization activities, that will be based on the project achievements that contribute to the expansion of the project’s scope and its replication;
- Ensure proper operational, financial and programme closure of the project;
- Prepare final project reports for submission to the PMC;
- Determine follow-up actions and submit them to the PMC for consideration;
- Manage the transfer of project outcomes, documents, files, equipment and materials to national beneficiaries;
- Insure the resource mobilization for this portfolio.
- Two Biennial Reports (fourth and fifth) (BR) and the Eighth National Communication (8NC) for the implementation of reporting obligations under the UN Convention on Climate Change are developed and disseminated among national stakeholders;
- Vulnerability assessment and adaptation measures to enhance climate-sensitive prioritization and development planning in Kazakhstan are developed and disseminated among national statehooders.
- Demonstrates commitment to the UN values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religious, racial and ethnic sensitivity and adaptability;
- Protection of all employees from all types of favoritism.
- Possesses excellent oral communication skills and the ability to resolve conflicts in order to manage conflicts and reduce the conflicts of various project participants;
- Possesses excellent written communication skills, analytical capacity and the ability to summarize the project outcomes and relevant conclusions for the preparation of high-quality project reports; Demonstrates maturity and confidence in communication with high-ranking officials of national and international agencies, governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Promotes knowledge exchange and team learning based on leadership and personal example;
- Focuses on the outcome for the client and responds positively to the feedbacks;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Keeps calm, control and good mood even under pressure.
- Ability to organize and perform several tasks, by setting priorities;
- Ability to perform a large amount of work, possibly in conditions of lack of time.
- Understands the basic processes and working methods of the current position;
- Constantly maintains the relevance of work knowledge through self-study and other learning tools;
- Demonstrates a good knowledge of information technology and applies them in job assignments.
- Builds strong customer relationships, focuses on the impact and outcome for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- ability to effectively coordinate a complex, multi-stakeholder project and to lead;
- Competence in team leadership and building team spirit, encouraging team members to produce quality outcomes in a timely and transparent manner; Demonstrates leadership and self-governance.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, economics, information management, statistics, sustainable development, social sciences, education or related area;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Min 7 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments;
- experience and technical ability to manage a project and a good technical knowledge in the fields related to private sector development, energy and environment and institutional development and/or regulatory aspects;
- Good capacities for strategic thinking, planning and management;
- Sound experience in usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Knowledge of UNDP project implementation procedures, including procurement, disbursements, and reporting and monitoring will be an added advantage.
- Fluent spoken and written Russian and English are essential;
- Knowledge of Kazakh is preferred.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.