Makani programme Supervisor
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
UNICEF Makani centres offer a multi-sectoral approach to service provision to children and young people, girls and boys, families and community members. It aims to promote and contribute to children and young people’s full development and well-being – physical, cognitive, social and emotional.Under the direct supervision of Programme Officer – Camp Coordinator (Makani) - (NOA), the post will play an oversight role for the provided services in Makani centres in Camps. The site supervisor will specifically be accountable for coordinating, monitoring and ensuring smooth programme implementation of the Learning Support Services (LSS) component in Makani programme. This will include monitoring the quality of the LSS component, frequent capacity building for the Syrian facilitators, and assuring that all the services are provided as per as Makani’s SOPs and curriculum. He/she will also follow up on emerging issues at centre levels in relation to the LSS component. This will also include close coordination with the contracted HR 3rd company to ensure smooth delivery on HR and operational management issues.
• Establishment of effective monitoring system for Learning support services implementation provided in Makani centres in camps.
• Oversee the quality of the provided Learning support services on daily basis.
• Supervise the Learning Support Core team in the camps, ensuring strong performance and close linkages to other Makani components to ensure consistent integration of programmes at field level.
• Support the Learning support Core team in developing individual plans for each facilitator, follow up on the individual plan, and provide the needed support to the facilitators.
• In cooperation with the learning support core team and Makani Sites supervisors, Identify the gaps for learning support facilitators and recommend the best approach to bridge those gaps.
• Highlight any gaps related to UNICEF Learning Support Services’ curriculum to the programme coordinator.
• Design and implement continuous capacity building for Syrian volunteers to ensure compliance with Makani’s SOPs and quality of service delivery.
• Effective partnership and collaboration achieved and maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, and programme development/management/coordination, information sharing and networking in the camps
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES and DUTIES & TASKS
Within the delegated authority and the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be accountable for all or assigned areas of the following major duties and end results.
- Contribute to and support the Learning support Core team in developing the work plan for each cycle.
- Supervise and manage Learning Support Core team, ensuring strong performance and close linkages to other components in Makani to ensure consistent integration of programmes at field level.
- Undertakes frequent field visits to the Makani centres to monitor and assess learning support implementation and decide on required corrective action.
- In cooperation with theLearning Support Core team, Identify the gaps for learning support facilitators and recommend the needed capacity building plan.
- Supports the delivery of training programmes for the Learning Support facilitators based on the capacity building plan.
- In cooperation with the Learning Support Core Team oversee the learning support services are provided according to the Makani SOPs including learning support session implementation, pre and post test implementation, and the use the right teaching support materials.
- Participate and contribute to major programme research and evaluation exercises, contribute to improving Makani camp rubrics in coordination with PME teams and sections and conduct center level reviews as well as participate in key camp level coordination meetings.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with the 3rd party HR contract management.
- Support the Learning Support Core team in identifying qualified facilitators to .
- Identify key indicators for semi-annual evaluation for the LSS facilitators
- Work in close collaboration with other Makani Sites supervisors to address any issue related to the LSS component
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Secondary Education is required. Higher University Degree in Social Sciences, educational sciences (Arabic or Math) is highly desirable.
- Six years of relevant professional work experience in the area of education programme implementation, hands-on experience in supporting education programme design, capacity building for education staff.
- Knowledge about the UN and NGO systems would be an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages
- Good knowledge of Arabic is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: Local ICA Support level 6
Contract duration: 6 months
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.