Mechanical Engineer - Retainer , Multiple positions
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Infrastructure Projects ContextInfrastructure developments comprising of four stages; namely: project initiation stage; project design stage; procurement stage and construction stage including the defects notification stage. Each stage will be comprised of various tasks that include feasibility study, need assessment, cost estimates timelines, design developments for simple projects and/or design reviews, preparation of terms of reference, Request for Quotation (RFQ), Request for Proposal (RFP) and Invitation to Bid (ITB), contract document preparations, construction supervision and monitoring until the expiry of the defects notification period. Projects will be located at various regions in Ethiopia, Sudan and Djibouti.
Background Information - Sudan
SudanThe UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.
The Mechanical Engineer will play a key role in ensuring the safety and quality of the Ethiopia multi-country office infrastructure works. The Mechanical Engineer will be expected to fulfill the following responsibilities, within their area of expertise, in line with industry standards and applicable national and international codes and guidelines:
- General construction
- Feasibility/needs assessment
- Design Management
- Construction supervision
- Knowledge management
1. General Construction
- Plan and coordinate work activities with the Project Manager or Head of Programme.
- Contribute to development, implementation, monitoring and updating of the Project plans and strategies in order to ensure delivery is to the scope budget and time.
- Provide expertise opinion/advise to the Project Manager on all engineering issues
- Provide supervision of project work progress and quality for on-time project delivery.
2. Feasibility /needs assessment
- Complete needs assessment and monitor/supervising consultants within their area of expertise.
- Manage the review of requests for new construction and rehabilitation works.
- Carry out assessments and prepare reports with recommendations for follow up actions within their area of expertise.
- Redact the tender dossier, with particular focus to the technical documents (drawings, Bill of Quantity (BoQ), technical specification and standards).
3. Design Management
- Applying technical expertise and professional experience, the Mechanical Engineer will support projects by providing guidance in the design development of mechanical works to achieve technical objectives.
- Review mechanical design drawings, technical speciﬁcations, and BoQs in terms of accuracy and suitability to overall design requirements, identifying aspects where designs do not comply with minimum codes and standards, and providing practical guidance for design improvement.
- Outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary and final stages where applicable;
- Prepare mechanical design calculations for projects to be developed by the UNOPS design team in the field offices and within the Hub;
- Preparation of mechanical design drawings, specifications and BoQs for projects by UNOPS design team in the field offices and within the Hub.
- Supporting the procurement team with technical guidance in preparation of tender documentation and bid analysis where required.
- Supervise specific construction works as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity/quality control and time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations where required.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery.
- Ensure respect of Health and Safety procedures on the site and report any irregularity
5. Knowledge management
- Provide training and technology transfer to national personnel and contractor’s personnel and advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
IV IMPACT OF RESULTS
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Mechanical Engineer directly impacts on achievement of the projects and consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university, professional certiﬁcation in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent with two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of Master’s Degree (total 7 years of experience).
B. Work Experience
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in mechanical engineering.
- Strong knowledge of industrial equipment and machinery and heating/cooling systems, particularly in the design and installation of HVAC systems is required
- Understanding of and experience with hospitals, health facilities is highly desired
- Understanding of and experience in development infrastructure sector is desired
- Knowledge of sustainable and resilient approaches to mechanical engineering and green technologies is an asset.
- Knowledge of electro-mechanical interfaces in waste water treatment plans, etc. is an asset.
- Some experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is desirable.
C. Language Requirements:
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Contract level: LICA 10
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA Retainer – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.