Cultural Mediator (Greek & Farsi)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work for its Office in Athens (Attica Greece) as a Cultural Mediator. Under the supervision of the Integration Learning Center Team Leader and in close cooperation with the Integration Learning Center Assistant and the educators, the Cultural Mediator, will provide support to the implementation of non-formal education activities for migrant and refugee children and adults.
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the managerial supervision of Integration Learning Center Team Leader, the Cultural Mediator will support the ILC staff and educators in implementing a high-quality integration programme, age and culturally appropriate and in line with youth and adult needs.
The main responsibilities include:
- Support the ILC staff in the implementation of non-formal education activities for youth and adults;
- Support educators and CFS Facilitators in implementing culturally appropriate educational activities based on age, knowledge and individual needs of children, youth and adults;
- Provide appropriate and relevant information to refugees regarding formal and non-formal education opportunities available;
- Provide cultural mediation/interpretation when necessary;
- Assist with short translation tasks, if required and relevant
- Assist the Integration Learning Center Team leader or educators in administrative tasks when relevant to position and skills;
- Assist in the facilitation of joint events with children and adults from both communities, refugees and host, for community harmonization;
- Contribute to the reinforcement of existing communication with persons of concern throughout DRC;
- Report any potential protection issues/risks identified in the Integration Learning Center to her/his supervisor;
In addition to the above, the Cultural Mediator may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Integration Learning Center Team Leader and Assistant.
- Excellent command of written and spoken Farsi and Greek language.
- Knowledge of English is an added advantage;
- At least one year working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage;
- Experience of community-based or community mobilisation work in a humanitarian context is a strong advantage;
- Experience in providing recreational activities to children (drama, play, games, circus, sport, storytelling, drawing/painting, artistic activities, music, dancing) will be highly appreciated;
- Computer skills;
- High professional ethics.
Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills is a must, and a good sense of humor
Terms & Conditions
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in Attica (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 6th of November 2019. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.