Risk & Operations Training Officer (National Position) - Damascus
The Risk and Operations Training Officer (ROTRO) contributes with HSS-related training towards
Syria Country Office (SCO) staff and Area Office (AO) staff in Syria. In additional he/she serves as roving capacity in support for Security Risk assessments and Risk and Operation activities that require support.
Duties and responsibilities
- Monitor and track incidents and contextual trends as a basis for analysis relating to safety, security and access.
- Write regular as well as ad-hoc reports pertaining to security incidents, access developments and other contextual concerns in order to better inform decision-making process.
- Support SCO, AON and AOS with establishing and maintaining contacts with the authorities in the areas of operation
- Issue security/access advice on demand in case of significant changes in contexts.
- Provide guidance and trainings on safety & security and movement protocols
- In cooperation with ROM plan and execute HEIST modules as per MERO training standards
- Coordinate with MERO training adviser on MERO support staff to support HEIST modules
- Conduct regular refresher trainings on Medical training as per MERO lesson plan and standards
- Control and eliminate short falls on mandatory online training as per CD decision and SCO minimum requirements
- Ensure that weekly HSS training reports are being produced and forward these via MERO to HO
- Plan and execute with partners in Syria ERW and mine awareness training for all NRC staff
- Maintain the MERO HEAT data base and plan in coordination with CD participation in trainings to meet T report standards
- Ensure that a training calendar is developed and populated allowing for SCO and AO staff to plan their participation
- Conduct CMT training in coordination with MERO support staff
- Provide weekly HSS advice and topics for HSS that are relevant for threat level at SCO and AO’sIn coordination with SCO and AO’s implement and execute 30 minutes each week for mandatory refresher training relevant to context and situation
- Provide drivers training in coordination with SCO and AO’s for all drivers according to SCO driver training module
- Every quarter conduct practical convoy training and VIP convoy training for all drivers inclusive relevant support staff
- In lack of official qualifications he/she shall commit within the first possible opportunity to acquire such qualifications through the MERO training adviser
- Any other task that the ROM assigns to him/her
- 2-3 years of experience working within HSS function(s) in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Relevant training qualifications for HSS
- First aid qualifications
- Training capacity and qualifications
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Sound knowledge of the context in Syria
- Fluent in Arabic both verbal and written
- Experience in staff mentoring, couching, training
- Advanced computer skills Office 365 and Microsoft programs
- Sound knowledge of operational HSS training requirements
- Valid certificates in ERW, Medical, Transport technical and general HSS training an assets
- Handling insecure environments
- Initiating action and change
- Empowering and building trust
We can offer
Salary/benefits: According to NRC's salary scale and terms and conditions
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We work in crises across more than 30 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP is a global provider of expertise that contributes to solving challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors. Our ultimate goal is to strengthen the resilience, and protect the lives, rights and livelihoods of vulnerable people and communities
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.