About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information please visit https://unu.edu/.
This position is located in the UNU’s Administration unit, Finance Section. The Finance section delivers wide rage of finance-related services to global UNU system.
The Finance Associate will be working under the overall guidance of the Senior Finance Manager. The ideal candidate will be dynamic, focused, and flexible with a strong attention to detail. She/he should be able to exercise good judgement and comprehend the broader view of processes. The Finance Associate will be tasked to:
- provide budgetary and reporting services for UNU globally while ensuring the compliance with the applicable rules and regulations
- ensure the implementation of effective financial closing and reporting
- prepare information required to respond to audit findings and recommendations
- analyse accounts and review regular financial reports
- prepare monthly financial reports and annual financial statements
- lead initiatives to improve workflow and streamline financial reporting processes to enhance efficiency and productivity
- prepare budget execution reports, highlighting variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures; provide advice to the institutes in the review of their budget execution
- provide guidance and training to personnel concerning the application of UNU policies, UN Financial Regulations and Rules, and established operational practices and the interpretation of requirements for handling financial and budgetary transactions
- provide administrative office support services to help ensure the smooth functioning of the Finance Unit and perform any other duties as may be assigned
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognised university in finance, accounting, or equivalent disciplines with a minimum 7 years of relevant working experience
- experience working with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) or other international accounting standards is desirable
- analytical skills and ability to handle a high volume of data are essential
- excellent Excel spreadsheet skills ( advanced level) and experience in handling ERP systems; knowledge of Oracle Peoplesoft is an advantage
- ability to work under minimal supervision and with a high level of resilience
- fluency in both oral and written English is required; knowledge of another UN official language is an asset
- results-oriented, self-motivated, and hands on, with the strong ability to establish priorities, multitask, and work within tight timelines
- strong commitment to customer service
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation. UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination.
This is employment under a Personnel Service Agreement contract (PSA). Remuneration will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
This position carries an annual leave entitlement of 2.5 working days per month and private health insurance coverage.
Duration of contract
This is full time employment on a 6-month Personnel Service Agreement (PSA).
As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their application materials by email to financeconsultant_KL@unu.edu
Applications must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out the motivations for applying for the post and how the candidate’s qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a UNU Personal History (P.11) form; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations
By email: financeconsultant_KL@unu.edu