Project Assistant (Administrative)
United Nations University Objectives:
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies, and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
For more information, please visit http://unu.edu.
The United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS), established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of research and training Institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks. For more information, please visit www.ehs.unu.edu.
The Munich Climate Insurance Initiative (MCII) is hosted at UNU-EHS. MCII was initiated as a charitable organisation by representatives of insurers, research institutes, and NGOs in April 2005 in response to the growing realisation that insurance solutions can play a role in adaptation to climate change, as suggested in the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol. As a leading think tank on climate change and insurance, MCII is focused on developing solutions for the risks posed by climate change for the poorest and most vulnerable people in developing countries. For more information on MCII, please visit: www.climate-insurance.org.
Under the authority of the Director of UNU-EHS and the guidance of the MCII Executive Director, the successful candidate will be entrusted with the following tasks:
- Effectively support the successful implementation of administrative project tasks;
- Provide support in setting up budgets for projects;
- Contribute to the preparation of contracts with project partners and subcontractors, and follow up with project partners and subcontractors to ensure the timely submission of reports and documents;
- Support the tendering and contracts of project consultants in close collaboration with MCII and the UNU-EHS finance department, and support the administration of consultants contracts;
- Support MCII with planning, budgeting, organisation, and preparation of events such as meetings, workshops, field research, and other support as required;
- Support the project teams in handling logistics for field missions and workshops;
- Support mission travel, including the review of travelers’ duty travel plans prior to submission to the certifying officer, and input and process travel requisitions, including payment of travel advances and process post-mission travel claims and other reimbursements (e.g. F10s);
- Process requisitions, purchase orders, and payments in accordance with UNU policies, United Nations Financial Rules and Regulations and established operational procedures, and ensure that proper and accurate accounting records are maintained;
- Assist the MCII team with procurement processes such as liaising with the procurement department and collecting vendor forms;
- Provide support in monitoring project budgets and provide the project leads with information as required, and keep project information updated in the ERP system ATLAS;
- Review expenses and prepare journal vouchers and journal entries to allocate expenses to the correct project;
- Contribute to donor reporting and issuing project invoices for donor contributions specified in project documents;
- Support the timely preparation and submission of inputs to meet internal reporting requirements, and liaise between MCII and the UNU-EHS finance and administration unit on project and operational areas requiring additional support;
- Provide support on handling MCII finances such as liaising with the MCII tax advisor, preparing overviews for board meetings and membership assemblies, processing payments, and documenting receipts; and
- Assist the MCII team on other administrative tasks as needed, and further tasks as agreed to reduce the workload of the MCII Executive Director and the Programme Support
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in accounting, law, business administration, international relations, or a related field;
- At least two (2) years of professional experience in project administration or contract management, preferably in an international and multicultural environment;
- Fluency in German is an asset; and
- Strong team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Duration of Contract:
This is a full-time employment contract. The successful candidate shall work under a Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) for a fixed period of twelve (12) months with the possibility of renewal. The combined duration of appointments under a PSA shall not exceed six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post and no relocation allowances apply. The duty station will be Bonn (Germany). The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor will he/she be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
As soon as possible (preferably by 01 January 2020).
Interested applicants should submit their applications by e-mail (to email@example.com), and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- a curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from the UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2019/UNU/EHS/PSA/PA/107).
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org