2003 - Project Assistant
To provide support services for the Green Climate Fund (GCF) - funded project “Advancing medium and long-term adaptation planning in the Republic of Serbia.
To ensure results oriented, effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the project activities and achievement of project results.
c. Background Information
The project “Advancing medium and long-term adaptation planning in the Republic of Serbia” is 3-year project funded by GCF and builds on Serbia’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) commitments to advance medium and long-term adaptation planning in the Republic of Serbia with a National Adaptation Plan (NAP), providing support for iterative improvements to the NDCs under the enhanced transparency framework requirements, while enabling the Government of Serbia to build and strengthen capacities for mainstreaming climate change adaptation (CCA), produce actionable climate risk and vulnerability assessments, and implement effective methods, tools and information systems to better inform decision-making on climate risks.
Project activities will address the main barriers to the integration of CCA into national, sectorial and local government planning and budgeting and support the formulation of financing strategies and mechanisms for the scaling up of medium- and long-term adaptation.
The overall goal of the NAP will be to reduce climate change related risks throughout Serbia by strengthening institutional and technical capacities that support integrated CCA planning and programming.
Duties and Responsibilities
Measurable outputs of the work assignment
Under the guidance of the Portfolio Manager, the Project Assistant will:
Provide support for project implementation
- Support the day to day implementation of project activities;
- Provide inputs for development of project monitoring and evaluation framework;
- Assist in preparing work plans and project reports;
- Identify and collect policy-related and other relevant information, documents and data, compile and analyse data for further use in project management;
- Support organization and coordination of meetings, training sessions, workshops, conferences and project events and prepare reports and meeting minutes, as required;
- Draft terms of reference for consultants and contractors, as required;
- Prepare briefs, talking points and relevant communication materials;
- Draft correspondence on project issues, as required;
- Establish and maintain project filing system, incoming and outgoing correspondence and maintain calendar of events;
- Follow up with (sub)contractors to ensure time delivery of outputs;
- Maintain cooperation and communication with project’s partners and beneficiaries on the implementation of the agreed activities, especially for the events, trainings, workshops, etc.;
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing within the project team;
- Participate in recruitment and evaluation panels, as required.
Provide support for project administration:
- Support in managing project finances, process invoices and ensure tax exemption for project related goods and services;
- Support procurement processes, provide inputs for request for quotations/proposals, prepare tenders and small procurements (canvassing), provide inputs for UNDP procurement plan;
- Support recruitment of short-term consultants in line with rules and regulations;
- Assist project teams, experts and consultants on travel and logistics matters;
- Perform other tasks ad duties as assigned by the supervisor;
- Present information for audit of NEX projects;
- Ensure full compliance of activities with UNDP rules, regulations, and policies.
Performance Indicators for evaluation of results
- Project documentation timely prepared;
- Project, finance and personnel records/files regularly updated and maintained;
- Effective support in travel and logistics provided to team members and consultants;
- Assistance in preparation of project’s annual and quarterly reports provided, data compiled;
- Efficient accounting and administrative support provided;
- Project related correspondence prepared;
- Efficient support to organization of meetings provided, information compiled and minutes of meetings taken and distributed.
- Good organizational and time management skills;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling ethical standards;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Excellent information technology skills, including word processing, database applications, presentation software, and internet.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor degree, preferably with specialization in natural sciences, environmental management, public administration, economics or business administration or related field. A High School degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the University degree.
- At least 2 years of experience in administrative project and office work. Previous experience in governmental, international or non-governmental settings would be an asset;
- Experience in organizational activities; evidence of ability to express ideas clearly; to work independently and in teams; to demonstrate a sense of self-assuredness combined with cultural and gender sensitivities;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.