Project Assistant - G5 (DC)
Praia (Cape Verde)
Vacancy no.: DC/Dakar/G5/2019/02
Publication date: TBC
Application deadline (midnight local time): TBC
Job ID: 1918
Organization Unit: DWT/CO-Dakar
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: 12 MOIS
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in xxxxxxxxxx.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is xxxxxxx (currency) yearly.
(general information about the context in which the official will work)
Information on the programme and the project aligned with that contained in the project document (PRODOC), its overall objectives (no longer than two paragraphs). Reference to other relevant information, material or a website for project details is possible.
Brief summary on the main purpose or objectives of the position, not going into the duties (one or two sentences).
Brief description of the role and responsibility of the position.
Reporting lines, including: (1) to whom the position is reporting (one position only); (2) which position will give technical guidance; and (3) the oversight responsibilities of the position if applicable. If relevant, collaboration lines can be indicated.
Select duties below only those correspond to the needs of this position. Add specific duties if necessary. Duties should reflect the activities and processes required to achieve the key results within the project main objectives. Use short, concise sentences and action verbs, no jargons or acronyms. The max total number of duties should be 10 – 12.
- Assist in monitoring the development plans and priorities, reports and other relevant information of project implementing partners with a view of identifying potential areas for cooperation.
- Provide programming and administrative support to activities undertaken by the implementing partners and prepare briefs, periodical reports and statistical data on status of project activities, to contribute to the preparation of technical and progress reports.
- Draft correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports on administrative matters in accordance with standard office procedures.
- Responsible for all administrative tasks, including logistical support to the project personnel, travel arrangements, visas, hotel reservation, etc. and provide logistics arrangements for conferences, seminars, workshops and meetings.
- Assist the NPC in the programming and preparation of budget estimates and expenditure forecasts by analysing and monitoring the situation of resources as compared to planned activities.
- Maintain an overview of the financial situation of the Project, to ensure that timely administrative support is provided in general and particular areas. Prepare and modify budget code and budget data such as budget proposals, budget revision, and re-phasing.
- Assist the NPC in maintaining project financial transaction and reporting systems in accordance with the ILO financial rules and regulations. Prepare administrative and finance related briefing materials for the NPC for reporting purposes and meetings with donors. Keep abreast of the progress report requirements and timetable, providing support to the CTA and coordinators for the preparation of the submission.
- Provide information to project’s Implementing Partners on ILO administrative and financial procedures. Inform the NPC of potential difficulties that may arise from the administrative and finance management capacity and competence of implementing partners to address the problem in timely manner.
- Provide interpretation and informal and formal translation.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the NPC and/or the Country Director.
Completion of secondary education.
Five years of progressively responsible administrative work, and some training in an administrative field. Proven experience of supporting implementation of technical cooperation projects and working effectively with government bodies in charge of policy making and with development partners would be an asset.
Excellent knowledge of the working language of the duty station and a good knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of programme and budget and through understanding of wide range of administrative policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with word processing, spread sheet, web-browser, as well as other computer software packages required for work.
- Thorough knowledge of in-house procedures for the preparation of documents and administrative forms, and for the creation and maintenance of filing systems.
- Ability to prepare preliminary reports and to draft correspondence.
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing and ability to communicate with people in a polite, courteous and cooperative manner.
- Ability to organize own work and to work independently as well as work in a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet the deadline.
- Must demonstrate responsible behaviour and attention to details.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.