Digital Content Producer (French)
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background Information - Job-specific
The Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC) is a global, multi-stakeholder membership and partnership organization that advocates for improved sanitation and hygiene for the most vulnerable and marginalized people around the world. With the United Nations General Assembly resolution A/RES/45/181, WSSCC was established in 1990 to intensify “the coordination of national activities undertaken with the assistance of all relevant agencies in the field of water supply and sanitation.”
The WSSCC Secretariat is hosted by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and located in Geneva, Switzerland. WSSCC enhances national efforts through the Global Sanitation Fund (GSF) to help rural communities improve their sanitation and adopt good hygiene practices in countries such as Benin, Cambodia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Nepal, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Togo and Uganda. In India, WSSCC is providing assistance through its India Support Unit as an accredited Key Resource Centre for capacity building and learning. In the rest of the countries, National Coordinators assume a pivotal role in representing WSSCC and ensuring that appropriate amplification and integration take place across various interventions supported by the Council. The GSF also appoints an Executing Agency (EA) to administer the grant in these countries and each EA makes sub-grants to non-government organizations, private sector and local governments to implement its programmes.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Corporate Communications and Advocacy and working closely with WSSCC’s communications team, the French Digital Content Producer is tasked with launching WSSCC’s web pages (wsscc.org/french) in French to create compelling public-facing content and to provide digital/translation services within the organization. The consultant will draw special attention of French speaking audiences to WSSCC’s key priorities and achievements, encouraging their support, participation and action, as well as ensuring greater transparency and accountability.
The position will support WSSCC’s content generation capacity to put a human face on the issues related to sanitation and hygiene and promote WSSCC’s role in the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 6.2. In particular, the consultant will showcase how WSSCC and its partners are carrying out their activities to “leave no one behind” and concretize its new strategic goals into clear, engaging and inspirational articles.
The consultant will also be involved in the production and translation of WSSCC’s publications and relevant outreach materials with a view to increase global knowledge on WASH, women and girls’ access to services, recent policy developments and more broadly the sustainable development goals.
- Launch the French version of the WSSCC website and make daily production updates to wssccc.org/French
- Translate English digital content to French and French to English while ensuring quality and uniform content delivery
- Proactively identify and research necessary story ideas and news subjects, and conduct interviews to produce such stories;
- Design and update an editorial calendar to summarize all upcoming events and coverage schedules as a basis for all the deliverables
- Take high-quality photographs and film videos to capture WSSCC’s interventions;
- Carry out all aspects of page production, including formatting text, placing video, optimizing images for the Web, rendering artwork containing text in French
- Collaborate with colleagues across WSSCC, providing support as necessary, e.g. translations, video scripts, graphics, marketing, social media
- Coordinate with Regional Units and in-country partners, serving as a focal point for all French digital content
- Log and raise technical issues with content management system (CMS) and related production technology with technical team
- Oversee WSSCC French social media platforms, in collaboration with other social media coordinators and community managers
- Travel, when needed, to WSSCC-supported countries to cover stories and events supported by its partners;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of Corporate Communications and Advocacy
Minimum Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, social science, communication or a related field.
Minimum seven years of relevant professional experience in writing, editing and translating in a new media environment is required.
Fluency in English and French is required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Experience in journalism to develop compelling content and generate response from audiences online;
- Experience with writing and editing of publications addressing technical subjects linked to the sustainable development goals;
- Have a good management of English and excellent translation skills
- Good communication skills
- Content management experience
- Social media experience
- Ability to coordinate Web content professionally
- Proficient in HTML and image optimization (Adobe Photoshop)
- Detail-oriented, creative, able to work efficiently under tight deadlines
- Experience with Drupal is desirable
- Web and graphic design experience are a plus
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: International Contractor Agreement
- Contract level: Level 2
- Contract duration: One Year (Up to 150 working days) initially with a possibility of extension
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.