Requisition ID: req7140
Job Title: Basic Literacy and Numeracy Officer
Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
The Basic Literacy and Numeracy (BLN) project officer, as a team member of the IRC’s Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) team, will work under the supervision of the Adolescent Girls Manager and in close collaboration with the Education Technical Manager to implement a set of interventions aimed to respond to the needs of adolescent girls in Lebanon.
The BLN project Officer will be responsible for:
- The correct implementation of the BLN curriculum for out of school adolescent girls
- Provision technical support to BLN AG Assistants in the field
- Monitoring and reporting on the BLN activities in all locations
- In coordination with the AG manager and the education technical manager, delivering BLN specific capacity building and training sessions for IRC WPE teams
- Ensuring close relations with IRC Education Staff
- In coordination with the education technical unit, supporting in creating a BLN curriculum adapted and in line with adolescent girls programming
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the correct implementation of the BLN curriculum for out of school girls in target areas (by maintaining close relations with AG Assistants in charge of BLN, Teachers and the Education Managers)
- Provide technical support to AG Assistants (BLN focal points) in the field to build their capacity in adolescent girl programming, through mentoring, coaching, regular meetings and support them in resource and tool development
- Provide training and mentoring to key staff on the BLN component
- In collaboration with WPE Teams both in Beirut and in field locations, support the integration of adolescent girl approaches and best practice into BLN programming
- In collaboration with AG Manager and Education technical unit, support in developing a BLN curriculum in line with adolescent girls programming and WPE approaches for working with AGs
- Guide the development and adaptation of materials and resources used by field staff, teachers and volunteers
- Through observation and regular evaluations, oversee and ensure the quality of activities implemented by the Adolescent Girls Assistants and teachers
- In collaboration with the Education Manager, the AG Manager and the M&E Senior Officer develop and or review existing M&E Tools to monitor and evaluate AG programming components including the implementation of the BLN curriculum
- Ensure Monitoring and Evaluation tools are completed with data inputted, analyzed and shared with WPE team on a regular basis.
- Draft reports on AG and BLN focused activities and contribute to regular reporting project
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
All IRC staff is required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Degree/ diploma in Social Work, Women’s Studies, Sociology, Education Studies or other related field;
- Clear understanding of gender inequality, and issues surrounding violence against women and girls;
- Ability to train, mentor and support other staff in their respective tasks in a professional, respectful and supportive manner;
- Previous experience working with adolescent girls will be a strong asset;
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure and prioritize work under pressure, work overtime when necessary and be able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail;
- Experience working with refugee populations in Lebanon preferred
- Experience facilitating trainings preferred
- Experience creating life skills sessions for adolescent girls is preferred
- Ability to work as a member of a team essential;
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Position Reports to: Adolescent Girls Manager
Position directly supervises: None
Position works with: Education technical manager, WPE Senior Officer, Case Management Officer, and Adolescent Girls Assistants
Travel and other requirements: Staff will be based in Beirut, with 40% field visits.