UN Women: Finance Associate (Open to Moldova Nationals Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The work of UN Women in Moldova is guided by its new Country Strategic Note for 2018-2022, aligned with the Republic of Moldova–United Nations Partnership Framework for Sustainable Development 2018–2022, the Global Strategic Plan of UN Women for 2018-2021, the National Strategy on Gender Equality for 2017-2021 (NSGE), the National Strategy for Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence for the Period 2018-2023, and aims to contribute to the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Strategic Note focuses on three main areas: 1/strengthening women’s participation in politics and decision making, 2/economic empowerment of women and 3/ending violence against women and girls. To achieve progress under these areas, UN Women works with a variety of national and international partners and as part of different national and regional initiatives.
Starting in January 2020 UN Women will implement in Moldova a EU-funded Programme Strengthened Gender Action in Cahul and Ungheni districts with the short title: “EVA”.
The programme will contribute to the consolidation and fortification of gender mainstreaming at the local level, in line with the provisions of the National Strategy to Ensure Equality between women and men in the Republic of Moldova for the years 2017-2021 and the European Charter for Equality of Women and Men role in Local Life. The proposed intervention will contribute to capacity development and to gender mainstream policies, programmes and institutional structures at local level, in order to redress existing inequalities and to preserve equality between women and men as well as to ensure that the specific needs and priorities of women and men, either separately or together, are adopted in local decision-making. The Programme will tackle domestic violence against women and children, particularly on improving the capacity and assessment tools of multi-disciplinary specialist response and services, including sexual forms of violence in domestic violence.
The programme is aimed at achieving the following results: Gender equality is promoted and mainstreamed in local policymaking and decision taking and Victims of domestic, including sexual, violence have greater access to effective survivor-focused multi-disciplinary services and violence prevention is piloted in local schools and communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide financial support in full compliance of UN Women rules and regulations:
- Perform duties in full compliance with UN Women financial regulations and rules, policies and standard operating procedures, including internal controls;
- Prepare payments, ensure proper supporting documentation and use of accounts and budget lines;
- Review and verify financial submissions for clearance of advances from implementing partners, review transactions, activities, and documentation;
- Take corrective actions on financial transactions as needed and reporting any unusual activities;
- Draft reports on financial status costs and expenditures;
- Prepare documents for audits and verifications. Follow-up on audit recommendations to monitor implementation of corrective actions;
- Provide assistance in preparation of the Annual Work Plan;
Provide support to the administration of programme`s budgets in full compliance of UN Women rules and regulations:
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Upon request, prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Maintain accurate budget reporting in both UN Women and EU standard templates;
- Prepare other recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget/financial preparations and audit;
- Respond to queries from the UN Women and EU Delegation with respect to financial aspects of the programme, liaise with UN Women-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Proactively communicate to partners and project team on outstanding balances or incompliance to processes and procedures;
- Advise and assist international and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Keep abreast of the changes and developments regarding the implementation of the programme from operational point of view;
- Undertake other financial tasks as required.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Conduct training and/or helping organize training events and activities; as well as participate in trainings;
- Provide advice to implementing partners on financial management and reporting;
- Collect and compile lessons learned and best practices in financial management and services. Disseminate to clients and stakeholders as appropriate to build capacity and knowledge;
- Contribute to financial business operational practices and management innovations.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely, complete and accurate financial transactions/activities/documentation;
- Timely and accurate advice on UN Women financial rules and regulations;
- Timely and regular monitoring of financial resources management system and timely expenditure of financial resources;
- Timely and accurate support to budget formulation and controlling allotments;
- Timely and accurate monitoring of internal expenditures control systems;
- Timely and accurate drafting of management financial reports.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Strong knowledge of financial rules and regulations and accounting principles;
- Strong knowledge and application skills of IT tools and understanding of management systems;
- Strong knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems;
- Ability to administer and execute financial and accounting processes and transactions.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification:
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or other related field;
- Specialized national or international certification in accounting and finance is an asset.
- At least 4 (four) years of progressively responsible experience in finance;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset.
- Proficiency in English and Romanian is required;
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.