UN Women: Programme Officer on Gender Mainstreaming (Open to Moldova Nationals Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The work of UN Women in Moldova is guided by its new Country Strategic Note for 2018-2022, aligned with the Republic of Moldova–United Nations Partnership Framework for Sustainable Development 2018–2022, the Global Strategic Plan of UN Women for 2018-2021, the National Strategy on Gender Equality for 2017-2021 (NSGE), the National Strategy for Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence for the Period 2018-2023, and aims to contribute to the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Strategic Note focuses on three main areas: 1/strengthening women’s participation in politics and decision making, 2/economic empowerment of women and 3/ending violence against women and girls. To achieve progress under these areas, UN Women works with a variety of national and international partners and as part of different national and regional initiatives.
Starting in January 2020 UN Women will implement in Moldova a EU-funded Programme Strengthened Gender Action in Cahul and Ungheni districts with the short title: “EVA”.
The programme will contribute to the consolidation and fortification of gender mainstreaming at the local level, in line with the provisions of the National Strategy to Ensure Equality between women and men in the Republic of Moldova for the years 2017-2021 and the European Charter for Equality of Women and Men role in Local Life . The proposed intervention will contribute to capacity development and to gender mainstream policies, programmes and institutional structures at local level, in order to redress existing inequalities and to preserve equality between women and men as well as to ensure that the specific needs and priorities of women and men, either separately or together, are adopted in local decision-making. The Programme will tackle domestic violence against women and children, particularly on improving the capacity and assessment tools of multi-disciplinary specialist response and services, including sexual forms of violence in domestic violence.
The programme is aimed at achieving the following results: Gender equality is promoted and mainstreamed in local policymaking and decision taking and Victims of domestic, including sexual, violence have greater access to effective survivor-focused multi-disciplinary services and violence prevention is piloted in local schools and communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Programme Manager, the Gender Mainstreaming Officer contributes to the effective and efficient implementation of the Programme. The incumbent applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations.
The Gender Mainstreaming Officer works in close collaboration with the EVAW Officer, Child Protection, Communications and Knowledge Management and Research Officers, and the rest of the programme team, and other programme teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and resolving complex programme-related issues and information delivery.
The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UN Women programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Summary of Key Functions:
The Programme Officer will be part of the Programme Management Team (PMT) and will, under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager, be responsible for managing the successful implementation of Gender Mainstreaming Programme component. The Programme Officer will lead the team of short-term experts.
The incumbent will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the programme) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients. More specifically:
Programme Implementation and Technical Support
- Ensure timely and adequate implementation of activities according to the Project Document activity plans; this includes preparing a detailed work plan and performance monitoring plan to implement the gender mainstreaming components per the Project Document and approved plans and ensure links and synergy with the EVAW component under the overall guidance of Project Manager;
- Design, oversee, and coordinate the implementation of relevant project activities with implementing partners, UN Women team, and partner agency;
- Coordinate and contribute to effective organization of the Programme Steering Committee meetings and represent UN Women in the different technical working groups at local level;
- Support the Programme manager in effectively managing human resources pertaining to the Component, including both staff, consultants and short-term experts; conduct periodic performance appraisals; build, lead and motivate a solid team of professionals;
- Support programme to manage efficiently the financial resources of the Component, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Continuously record and maintain relevant Component activities, issues, risks, etc.;
- Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences, trainings, study tours and related activities relevant to the implementation of the Component;
- Ensure proper identification of and follow up with local stakeholders, institutions, civil society organizations and groups, consultants and other partners who will be involved in the implementation of activities under the relevant result areas; provide technical support and guidance to implementing partners and key stakeholders on specific issues related to the project scope.
Capacity development support to programme staff and partners
- Coordinate and lead all capacity development activities within the gender mainstreaming component as per the project document;
- Undertake relevant desk review of the country policy and legal frameworks on gender equality, programme documents, studies and the other materials; review the international and Moldovan good practices on gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment at local level;
- Understand the local context in terms of gender equality and women’s empowerment by assessing the two target regions local socio-economic situations;
- Provide capacity development on gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment to joint programme personnel and key partners through face to face gender trainings and learning sessions;
- Provide programme personnel with gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment tools and updates on current gender equality trends in Moldova;
- Ensure high quality information and visibility of the programme activities to the mass media and stakeholders and support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned across Programme Implementation at the local and national levels;
- Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Programme as required.
Facilitation of gender mainstreaming into all programme components and activities:
- Regularly review planned activities, and make necessary modifications/ratifications when needed in response to any emerging circumstances;
- Preparation of inputs for reporting, including donor and audit reporting; inputs for the Annual Reports as per donors’ requirements;
- Provide substantive technical support to mainstream gender into all four components of the programme including the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, as well as reporting;
- Support personnel with applying gender analysis for programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation to understand why and how issues affect women and men differently and unequally within particular context and what options exist to address them;
- Facilitate collection and analysis of sex-desegregated data through programme implementation;
- Lead programme personnel with a day-today gender mainstreaming, including by providing reviews and comments to the relevant programme documents;
- Ensure that gender is mainstreamed in programme related documents such as: technical briefs, analytical reports, assessments, communication strategy, terms of references, call for proposals, request for proposals etc;
- Ensure integrating result indicators for gender equality and women’s empowerment in joint programme monitoring and evaluation plan (to be developed); and make sure all indicators are disaggregated by sex;
- Ensure monitoring and analysis of the extent to which international commitments and national legal and policy document on gender equality and women’s rights are implemented at the community levels;
- Ensure availability of an up-to-date information on all critical issues related to implementation of gender equality commitments on regional and local levels;
- Ensure that progress reports from responsible parties are properly monitored in line with project outputs and timeline before approving;
- Communicate and cooperate closely with the Local Coordinators from the target regions;
- Undertake regular monitoring missions to the two target regions to ensure timely delivery and quality of results;
- Prepare terms of reference for consultants and services, responsible party agreements with local stakeholders and institutions and/or civil society organizations; prepare relevant package of documents for submission to Local Programme Appraisal Committee (LPAC);
- Supervise and evaluate consultants and other contractors’ performance in delivering required outputs;
- Manage project files and support information collection and dissemination; ensure proper project documentation (filing) & communication, and tracking system for effective project closure.
Building strategic partnership
- Provide substantive inputs to UN Women and other participating UN agencies of the joint programme in engagement with relevant local authorities to support the gender mainstreaming throughout the programme implementation;
- Build strategic partnerships and maintain close liaison with local partners, ensuring optimum participation of all relevant stakeholders;
- Develop the professional platform for networking and partnership building with the local and regional authorities, CSOs, private sector and international development organizations or programmes;
- Ensure coordination with relevant working groups and information sharing;
- Create and coordinate partnership with local authorities, service providers, developmental actors, women’s organizations and other stakeholders in target regions.
Advocacy, knowledge building and communication:
- Provide substantial contribution to mainstreaming gender into the programme’s communications and visibility plan and its implementation phase;
- Provide proactive and substantive technical support t to the organization of awareness raising and advocacy events, trainings, workshops and drafting knowledge products;
- Based on the analysis of the lessons learned, evaluations, best practices provide analytical support to the programme management in applying the knowledge for planning;
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice on gender equality;
- Provide inputs to the development of knowledge management products related to gender equality and women’s rights in the programme areas.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS OF THE WORK ASSIGNMENT:
- Substantive input to the programme implementation is provided;
- Programme initiatives are designed and formulated for translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions;
- High-quality inputs to reporting and monitoring activities are provided on time.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with clients;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Excellent event planning skills;
- Excellent knowledge of social media and communications strategy and methods;
- Ability to identify relevant events and stories and communicate them to a mass audience;
- Strong multimedia skills;
- Knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree or equivalent in Human Rights, Gender Equality, Law, Social Sciences, Public Administration or other development related sciences;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- Additional training and certification in programme/project management would be an advantage.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant practical experience in gender analysis and gender mainstreaming and/or including experience in providing trainings on gender equality;
- Extensive knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights;
- Experience in programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience of working with governmental and non-governmental institutions at the national and local levels;
- Experience in the UN system, agencies and international organizations is an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office, Outlook, etc.).
- Proficiency in oral and written English and Romanian;
- Advanced knowledge of Russian is an advantage;
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language.