Programme Analyst Innovation
In the last 2-3 years the UNDP Armenia programme has grown in several directions, including in terms of local socio-economic development and innovation/acceleration and impact investment. Among others, the initiatives in acceleration have been pioneering concepts that have become a platform in UNDP across the globe. However, since 2014 the office has had only two functional portfolios: Democratic Governance (DG) and Sustainable Growth and Resilience (SGR).
In order to address the current needs of the Office in line with the strategic direction and implementation of programme objectives, it is essential to align the current structure of the Office Programme Unit with the de facto situation by establishing three national professional positions. This is even more important and timely considering that the CO is starting to roll out the design of the new CPD cycle, which goes together with the new UNDAF cycle, and in that regard proper capacities of the CO will be crucial for effective contribution and fulfillment of UNDP’s role of SDG integration and acceleration.
The new position will be created as a separate platform with functions aimed at implementation and management of Country Office Innovation, Acceleration and Impact Investment Platform with a dominant focus on the design and implementation of the SDG Finance platform, elaboration of CO innovation strategy based on corporate priorities and the UNDP HQ guidance, leveraging private and public finance for the SDGs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the Programme Analyst is responsible for the management of UNDP’s Innovation, Acceleration, Impact Investment platform. The Programme Analyst analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within the portfolio, provides policy advice services.
The Programme Analyst supervises and leads programme support staff, coordinates the activities of projects’ staff. The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in UNDP and in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of programme strategies in the theme of Innovation, Technology and Finance for accelerated SDG solutions
- Management of the CO Innovation, Acceleration, Impact Investment platform
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of top-quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
1. Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNCF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned and development of programme/project proposals in line with the declared national priorities and UNDP strategic plan.
- CO business processes mapping and preparation of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management.
2. Ensures effective management of the CO SDG Acceleration and Innovation platform within the thematic areas assigned, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of CO innovation strategy, plan and efforts. Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals for elaboration of the CO Innovation strategy based on corporate strategic priorities and the UNDP HQ guidance.
- Design and implementation of the CO SDG Finance platform, with focus on innovative impact investment tools, leveraging private and public finance for SDGs.
- Substantive contribution to the CO CPD from the perspective of its innovation and SDG finance strategy, plan and efforts.
- Leading on the CO efforts to advance SDG Acceleration through application of collective intelligence and sense making methodologies as part of the evolution of the CO program portfolio, in sync with the progress of the UNDP global network of Accelerator Labs. Ensuring provision of technical advisory services to innovate the programme and policy portfolios of the CO, leveraging technology and product innovation to respond to SDG-related challenges.
- Substantive oversight and quality assurance of the SDG Innovation Lab, the CO Impact Investment Team, Kolba innovation team and other similar pioneering initiatives.
- Development of innovation proposals, selecting eligible CO projects for support, overseeing the work-out-loud componen.
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the implementing agencies.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, finalization of financing agreements, coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Manager Level 1 level functions in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval. Participation in recruitment processes for projects.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions.
- Evaluation of the programme impact. Monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustments in portfolio.
- Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
4. Ensures provision of top-quality policy advice services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Advocacy, promotion, awareness and understanding of UNDP Strategic Plan. Representing the CO management at public and national events.
- Development of policies, advocacy materials, innovative and creative initiatives that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Building Strategic Partnerships - Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Resource Mobilization - Analyzes information, identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Innovation and Marketing New Approache - Generates new ideas and proposes new effective ways of doing things; documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Promoting Organization Learning and Knowledge Sharing - Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals - Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
Required Skills and Experience
Master's degree in Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related area.
2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Experience in the use of computers and office software packages; experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in English and Armenian.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.