Risk & Compliance Coordinator
Risk & Compliance Coordinator
We are looking for a highly qualified Risk & Compliance Coordinator who is able to work with diverse teams of both national and international staff as well as coordinating with regional compliance team, provide technical, and support the country office.
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) in conjunction with Danish Demining Group (DDG) has been operating in Yemen since 2008 using a protection of human rights framework. DRC initially worked in Yemen with mixed migrants coming from the Horn of Africa who are displaced by conflict and drought. Since then, DRC expanded its sectors of intervention and is now providing humanitarian assistance in nineteen governorates throughout the country. There are currently over 250 staff working between the Sana’a main office, two hub offices in Aden and Hodeida, and six field offices. Current programme sectors include protection (mixed migration, IDP, child), FSL, WASH, Shelter, and CCCM. DDG Yemen is currently focusing on Mine Risk Education and supporting the capacity development and deployment of standby Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) teams from the Yemen Executive Mine Action Centre (YEMAC). Through quality surveys, data, and information management, DDG will also support YEMAC in the development of a more accurate threat and response maps.
Our operations in Yemen have both grown and changed as needs escalate following the country’s descent into civil war in 2015.
About the job
Risk & Compliance Coordinator will ensure DRC-DDG Yemen is aligned with DRC internal policies, donor requirements and local laws. The position will actively promote and support a culture of compliance, risk identification & management across all departments. Responsibility for the implementation of a set of controls to ensure compliance with DRC procedures and quality standards is a central purpose of the role. This includes identifying weaknesses in the application of controls and recommend action to address this situation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop field compliance framework and tools/methods for periodic compliance review of high/medium risk areas identified in collaboration with SMT/Regional Risk and Compliance Specialist (RRCS)
- Develop a periodic compliance reporting mechanism & provide regular reports to CO SMT and R-SMT through RRCS
- Provide specialist technical support relating to Compliance & Risk to country SMT & be the ‘go to’ compliance and risk expert where DRC Iraq seeks advice and direction on DRC and donor procedures and policies
- Develop donor compliance checklists for major donors of Yemen CO and ensure their usage by 1st line of defence managers across the operations
- Assess the effectiveness of existing risk and compliance control measures to identify and mitigate risks and non-compliance.
- Based on Compliance checks & reports develop organizational wide targeted improvement plans including a suite of tools that improve control measures and organization understanding of donor regulations & relevant DRC policies.
- Be the focal point for risk management & ensure effective implementation of risk management framework across the operations
- Lead training initiatives relating to Risk Management
- Lead discussion on risks regularly in SMT/E-SMT meetings & regularly monitor progress on implementation of response plan in risk registers
- Support CO in development of risk registers for particular projects at proposal stage and developing action plan for risk management for particular projects
- Ensure trainings on CoC for all staff
- Develop and monitor accountability improvement plans
- Conduct or direct internal administrative investigations of compliance issues in coordination with code of conduct intake committee.
- Advise Senior Management on gaps identified thorough internal and external audit reports.
- Ensure the DRC internal policies are in accordance with country laws and are being followed; also ensure NGO laws is followed up by all sectors of DRC-DDG program.
- Liaise with DRC Yemen lawyer with regard to legal cases; updating senior management and country director as required.
- Work closely with MEAL Manager to ensure that appropriate accountability mechanisms are in place to report on
Key Deliverables: (in bullet points)
- Effective accountability framework and control measures in place.
- Ensure organization is in compliance with DRC-DDG internal policies and donor procedures/policies
- Risk Matrix updated and disseminated as required
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Strong Finance & budget management skills;
- Attention to detail
- University degree in relevant subject area;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with national staff and other stakeholders;
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment and undertake a proactive approach;
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English;
Experience: (include years of experience)
- At least 5 years professional work experience in humanitarian organizations;
- Experience with reporting, compliance, grant management
- Knowledge of major donor compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of the local context
- Experience with portfolio management and inter-departmental coordination
- Experience in Finance & Human resource and logistics is an asset.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a one-year contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from as soon as possible and be willing and able to work in Sana’a with frequnt travek to field locations.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at band
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications closing date is 26 November 2019. The interviews will be on a rolling basis; and due to the urgency of this hiring, a candidate might be identified even before the closing date.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact Ameer Al-Ansy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to [Ameer Al-Ansy] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo