Finance Assistant - Edinburgh
Edinburgh (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Position Status: Full-time, Permanent
Salary Level: circa £19k, depending on experience
Reporting to: Finance Officer
Closing date:** Apply with CV and Cover Letter by Tuesday the 26 of November 2019
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organisation powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In conflict, in disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps Europe (MCE) has grown rapidly in terms of volume of activity and complexity. With offices in Edinburgh, London and Geneva, we now attract over £90m in income, and employ around 100 domestic and expatriate field team members. The breadth and impact of our programmes makes Mercy Corps a unique and truly rewarding place to work. Our teams are proud of what we achieve in the field and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment.
The Role The Finance team plays a critical role in sustaining and enabling MCE's growth through the support it provides to Field Teams and HQ departments. All management accounting for European grants is managed by the team, in addition to the financial accounting functions, payables, receivables and cash management.
Reporting to the Finance Officer, and working with Finance colleagues in Europe, US and Field Offices, the Finance Assistant's primary responsibility is to ensure that transactions in relation to projects are correctly and timeously entered into the accounting system and related databases, enabling prompt and accurate management accounting and donor reporting.
We are looking for an ambitious accounting or finance professional, with some experience of working in a busy finance team, who is interested in a career in the NGO sector. This is an opportunity to be involved in finance work that is fast-paced, and to be part of a diverse, dedicated team of people who are genuinely motivated by making a difference. You will be someone with a positive, can-do approach, who enjoys the pressure of working together as a team to tight deadlines. Strong communication skills are vital, as you will be operating in a truly international environment. Experience of accountancy packages software and strong Excel skills are key.
You will not only have the right experience on paper but also the right personal 'fit' - you will live and breathe our culture and values, with a visible passion for the work we do and a desire to be part of our story.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Field ledger data:**
• Working with the International Finance Officers, review the monthly country ledgers to ensure that coding is correct. Liaise with the field to ensure any queries are resolved promptly;
• Upon clearance of any queries, upload field ledgers to the Finance System to strict monthly deadlines.
• Working with the relevant International Finance Officer, ensure data relating to local partners (the statistical ledger) is uploaded timeously;
• Generate the field MCE inter-company report. Working with International Finance, ensure that backing documentation is received and reviewed in order to make payments.
• Working with the Finance Officer, review International Partner reports and upload data using templates established by the relevant International Finance Officer.
Database maintenance and reporting:
• Ensure standing data in relation to projects is complete by checking to Mercy Corps Global Grant Award Info Tracker;
• Review and upload budget lines for new grants;
• Working with HR and International Finance, ensure the consultant database is up to date at all times;
• Working with International Finance and Compliance, ensure the subawards database/ tracker is up to date at all times.
• As part of the system for ensuring that the correct amount of cash is sent to country offices each month, ensure the cash flow projections from the field are correct and promptly forwarded to MCG for processing.
Team member expense claims:
• Review transactions to ensure they are authorised, correctly coded and have all necessary backing documentation;
• Review and process team member expense claims for payment, ensuring claims are in line with policy and correctly coded and authorised.
• Assist FO in reviewing international payment request information for accuracy and to ensure in line with contracts.
Accounts payable: • Assist the AP finance officer with invoice review to ensure appropriate approval, coding and filing.
Other: • As part of the department's commitment to continuous improvement, the Finance Assistant should be proactive and lead on ad hoc HQ projects aimed at streamlining processes or increasing efficiency.
• As part of the Finance team, the Finance Assistant work with the HQ Finance Systems Manager on developing streamlining, and documenting policies, processes and procedures
• Ensure IT systems, databases and matrices containing financial information relating are updated on time.
• Provide training on Finance Processes and Policies to the wider team
• Any other duties as assigned.
Organisational Learning • As part of our commitment to organisational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organisations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries • Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
• Ideally part-qualified in accounting or with a degree in a related field, with around 18+ months of work experience in a busy finance department.
• Experience of computerised accountancy packages and windows software.
• Proficiency with MS Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) - strong Excel skills key.
• Experience in SUN systems is an advantage, though not a necessity.
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• Some experience of working in or with an NGO would be preferable.
• Excellent organisational and time management skills.
• Systematic, with a strong eye for detail.
• Can work quickly, accurately and to deadlines.
• Able to build and maintain effective internal and external relationships.
• Strong team worker and communicator.
• Able to cope with changing priorities, often at short notice, and work well under pressure.
• Proactive and solutions-based attitude.
• High levels of motivation, professionalism and resilience.
• An exposure to and interest in international development issues is important, along with an empathy for MC's mission.
The position is based in Edinburgh and may involve occasional national and international travel.
MCE team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a short-term assignment or trip to country offices. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Mercy Corps locations.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps' vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.