UNDP Egypt has a structure aligned to its Country Programme Document (CPD) 2018-2022. The Programme Team has three thematic clusters, based on the three outcomes within UNDP Egypt Country Programme :
- Inclusive Growth and Innovation
- Environment and Climate Change
- Gender Equality
The Policy and Partnerships team support the policy advice and partnerships’ initiatives undertaken by the three programme clusters. It will serves as a multi-disciplinary ‘think-tank’ with strong outreach capacity to partners, counterparts and clients; a repository of global expertise and practical knowledge on the development agenda, programmes and partners; and facilitator of policy advisory services around the SDGs, the CPD, and strategic, emerging areas.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the post works in close collaboration with the Assistant Resident Representative, Programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to generate policy and partnerships’ advice, strategies and knowledge products and services. It will guide and collaborate with Communications Analyst to develop and disseminate advocacy, knowledge and organizational branding, messages and products.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Strategic Direction
As a member of the Programme Management team, in collaboration with Results and Resource Analyst, advises ARRs/Thematic Team Leaders, and makes recommendations to the Resident Representative on the strategic direction of the UNDP programme, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Policy proposals in preparation/revision of UN and UNDP assessment and planning documents (Common Country Assessment (CCA), UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), UNDP Country Programme (CPD), annual work plans and other Strategic documents.
• Programme Performance Reviews
• Intelligence on, and constant monitoring and analysis of the national, regional and international programme environment for programme opportunities and/or timely readjustments.
• Inputs to the development and implementation of CO strategy for partnering with UN Agencies around UNDSDCF, SDGs and other joint programming.
• New opportunities and strategic programmatic entry points explored with UN agencies and other partners.
2. Policy Services
In close collaboration with Team leaders, articulates UNDP policy support and facilitates the provision of best-in-class expertise to bolster policy analysis and outreach capacities on SDGs, inclusive growth, environment and Gender Empowerment and Local Development, and emerging programme areas through:
• Engagement of global Centres of Expertise and engagement with UNDP Regional Hubs and partners.
• Development and management of Long Term Agreements (LTAs) and consultants’ rosters.
• Development of a rapid-response capability for delivering policy products, advice and services
3. Partnerships and Resource mobilization
• Advises DRR and ARRs, generates and facilitates implementation of strategies and policies related to outreach, partnerships building and Resource Mobilization, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of CO’s Partnership and Communication Action Plan dovetailing with communication strategy and base on up-to-date comprehensive stakeholders analyses
- Substantive participation in all UN Results and Development Partners Groups relevant to the UNDP programme;
- Technical advice on, and facilitation of, the collaborative development of proposals for implementation of an inter-related donor intelligence, Client Relationship Management and Resource mobilization strategy, comprising:
- Analysis and assessment of CO opportunities for partnership and resource mobilization.
- Identification of opportunities in the country based on partner-specific intelligence and the competitive landscape and where the CO competency strengths overlap with partner/client needs
- Competitive Landscape Analysis of partners, their priorities and characterization of their relationships/partnerships
- Analysis of key development and sectoral policies currently being discussed and implemented in the country and key donors willing to support these policies
- Analysis of the level of CO engagement with each donor: type and level of contact and particular areas of interest.
- Identification of emerging sources of funding; assessment of their current usage and potential for the future.
- Identification of opportunities for UNDP in its relationship with other UN Agencies.
- Drafting and revision of agreements with partners/donors, including tracking, reporting and compliance with partner requirements, monitoring overall implementation of agreements.
4. Ensures the provision of Best-In-Practice Knowledge Management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Synthesis of best practices and lessons learned across thematic areas for organizational planning, messaging and branding
• Facilitation Commission and deliver research to generate high-quality knowledge products for more systematic and effective outreach, resource mobilization, and pipeline development of Knowledge contributions by programme teams to strategic partners and knowledge networks
• Learning initiatives delivered office and projects staff in Partnerships and Advocacy.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Level 4: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
Ability to persuade others to follow
Level 4: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Level 4: Models independent thinking and action
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Level 4: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
Visioning Ability to analyse the organization’s value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans. Use insight to identify target audiences and partners and to inform communication objectives, messages and solutions.
Advocacy and Activations
Ability to design and implement strategic short/long term campaigns and carry out customized activations to highlight UNDP's position and support issue based advocacy.
Knowing Your Audience
Ability to use a range of techniques and intelligence to develop and implement customized initiatives to target varied audiences to meet UNDP’s objectives.
Knowledge of analytical tools, market research and methods for undertaking substantive research on various policy related issues
Ability to scan and synthesize diverse sets of information to arrive at strategic priorities and positioning recommendations
Collaboration and Partnerships
Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP.
Knowledge of multilateral agencies (OECD, IFIs, EU, Regional Development Banks, etc.), including respective mandates and ways of working
Development Effectiveness: Resource Mobilization
Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, Communications, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field
A minimum of 5 years’ experience with demonstrable results at the national and/or international level in generating results and providing technical advice and services in the areas of Policy Research, Advocacy, Partnerships, Intergovernmental Affairs) to national, regional, or international entities.
Proficiency in English. Arabic will be highly desirable
Describe any additional qualifications:
Facility with MS Office Products (i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint) experience in handling of web based management systems.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.