Human resources coordinator (M/F) - Uganda
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
The people working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
From the 1990s until 2005, MdM ran HIV/AIDS programs, including support to orphans, in the districts of Rakaï and Kyotera, with technical and financial support to the hospital of Kakuto for HIV counselling and testing.
Since 2015, MdM has been supporting the local organization MARPI (Most At-Risk Populations) through grants and training. Since 2009, MARPI has been running a health facility located in the Mulago national referral hospital in Kampala, which provides free health services to the key populations, including sexual minorities and gender identities. MdM provided MARPI staff with training on proctology.
In July 2017, a fact-finding mission was conducted in the South Sudanese refugee settlement of Bidibidi, northern Uganda, where the French section of MSF has been present since 2016.
MSF handed over the OPD activities to MdM in July 2018. MdM took over the IPD activities in April 2019. Then a two-year transition process has started, leading to a handover of Bolomoni HC III to the Yumbe District Health Office by March 2021 at the latest.
The 2019 – 2021 project strategy included two key phases:
• January – December 2019: Consolidation of health services provision at Bolomoni HC III level and development of outreach activities at community level. The latter will also be carried out with the support of Human Rights Awareness and Promotion Forum (HRAPF), a local NGO based in Kampala. Furthermore, in order to align with the national health facility mapping, MdM will support the upgrading of Bolomoni HC III into a permanent Ministry of Health’s health infrastructure;
• January 2020 – June 2021: Gradual staff downsizing (from approximately 200 staff to 19) as per Ministry of Health standards, and gradual hand-over of Bolomoni HC III to the District Health Office (DHO) in Yumbe.
However, as the government health facilities in Yumbe district are still under rehabilitation, the above-mentioned downsizing strategy will not take place as initially planned. In 2020 Bolomoni HC III is likely to continue delivering a high level of activity, with quality and continuity of health care remaining core priorities.
The scope of the medical coordinator work will mainly cover the PHC project in Yumbe district.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the responsibility of the general coordinator, the human resources coordinator has the administrative and HR responsibility of the programmes according to MdM and donors’ standards. He or she will work in close contact with the HR officers based at the HQ and directly supervise, train and evaluate HR officers in the field.
Human resources management
- Follow up, propose, revise and/or draft HR-related procedures and policies (such as a HR Field Manual), to improve the functioning and the communication within the mission
- Contributes to the implementation of the internal working rules (conditions of employment and internal regulations) according both to Ugandan labour laws and MdM rules, ensuring local staff are trained and advised on HR policies, procedures
- Support the mission for the recruitment processes: prepare the job descriptions, advertise the position, select CVs, organize interviews and selection process, and briefings
- Supervise the HR database management, ensuring all important staff information (such as medical licence expiry dates, tax numbers, etc) is complete and up to date, and lead on and supervise the monthly payment of salaries in conjunction with Finance
- Handle together with the general coordinator or medical coordinator any disciplinary actions that might be needed as per MdM’s terms and conditions of engagement
- Be in charge of the drafting and follow up of the mission’s training plan and ensure that annual appraisals are done
- Be responsible for implementing systems to improve communication with staff and address their grievances, such as a staff representative system and participate in or lead staff meetings/sessions at least on a monthly basis
- Maintain a HR plan with information such as upcoming annual leave and recruitment needs
- Work closely with other teams (logistics, finance) to improve processes
- Participate with the general coordinator to set up and update the organisational chart
- Support the general coordinator regarding the implementation of all the policies related to protection against sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA), including ensuring accountability mechanisms are operational
- Participate to meetings with donors and/or authorities jointly with the general coordinator and/or other coordinators
- Prepare the monthly HR updates to HQ
- Be responsible for training, coaching and supporting national staff with the overall management of HR and administrative and legal aspects of the projects in order to guarantee rigorous and transparent procedures and to fulfil the objectives of the mission in the respect of MdM and donors’ guidelines
- Develop a training plan for national staff and support especially supervisors in their staff management duties
- Be the budget holder for the HR budget and work closely with the finance coordinator to ensure that the organization finances are maintained in an accurate & timely manner and ensure MdM’s funds are used efficiently
- Input into monthly forecasts and any budget revisions of the project and coordination budget together with the finance coordinator based in Yumbe
- Analyse the BFFU’s HR budget lines in conjunction with the finance coordinator
- Ensure HR transactions are properly recorded on paperwork such as mission requests, payment request forms, etc.
- Be a signatory to the bank account and may approve and authorize payments
- Validate the HR budget lines on the monthly funds request prepared by the finance coordinator
- Follow up financial policies and procedures
- Work closely with the finance coordinator to ensure that payments of all local taxes, especially with regards to the staff, are made
- Manage the filing, storage and security of HR documents
- Supervise the visa processes and registration of MdM expatriate team
- Ensure the respect of the legal and administrative procedures and the compliance to Ugandan laws for all aspects of the mission, especially with regards to HR & labour laws
- Support the general coordinator regarding all legal and registration issues
- Work closely with the in country and HQ legal advisors with regards to contracting and other labour issues
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Fixed-term contract (6 months)
Position based in Yumbe, Uganda
Starting date: December 1st 2019
Gross monthly salary: 2.817 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
At least 3 year of working experience in a humanitarian context as support services, HR coordinator or administrative coordinator
Experiences as an administrative or a human resources manager will also be valued
Capacity building experience is a must
Experience with an East African context and/or health programming would be an asset
Good ability to work quickly, under pressure, and with short and competing deadlines
Ability to draft concise and effective policies
Good ability to manage priorities and to adapt them daily according to the context
Good computing skills, high proficiency on intranet, Word and other Microsoft Office packages is a must
Willing to work in challenging situations, ability to get on well with colleagues and follow up rules and regulations
Good communication, diplomacy and problem-solving skills
Ability to step into and solve difficult situations, especially with regards to staff HR issues (disciplinaries, conciliation between staff groups, etc)
Ability to listen and share decisions / Ability to take effective decisions according to the context
Ability to work under minimum supervision
Understanding of payroll processes
Eye for detail
Positive working attitude
Understanding and respect of MdM’s principles such as neutrality
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
Please use the following link to apply: http://www.jobs.net/j/JLiZyXGY?idpartenaire=128