Finance Assistant - Accounts Payable - Edinburgh
Edinburgh (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Position Status: Full-time, Permanent
Salary Level: circa £19k, depending on experience
Reporting to: Finance Officer
Closing date:** Apply with CV and Cover Letter by Monday, the 2ndof December 2019
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organisation powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In conflict, in disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps Europe (MCE) has grown rapidly in terms of volume of activity and complexity. With offices in Edinburgh, London and Geneva, we now attract over £90m in income, and employ around 100 domestic and expatriate field team members. The breadth and impact of our programmes makes Mercy Corps a unique and truly rewarding place to work. Our teams are proud of what we achieve in the field and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment.
The Role **The Finance team plays a critical role in sustaining and enabling MCE's growth through the support it provides to Field Teams and HQ departments. All management accounting for European grants is managed by the team, in addition to the financial accounting functions, payables, receivables and cash management.
We are looking for a Finance Assistant (Accounts Payable) to join us. Reporting to our HQ Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant is primarily responsible for:
• The purchase ledger and inter-agency billing, ensuring prompt settlement and reconciliation of purchase invoices, inter-agency transactions and timeous monthly close of the purchase ledger;
• Setting up bank payments and cash book management;
We are looking for an ambitious accounting or finance professional, with some experience of working in a busy finance team, who is interested in a career in the NGO sector. This is an opportunity to be involved in finance work that is fast-paced, and to be part of a diverse, dedicated team of people who are genuinely motivated by making a difference. You will be someone with a positive, can-do approach, who enjoys the pressure of working together as a team to tight deadlines. Strong communication skills are vital, as you will be operating in a truly international environment. Experience of accountancy packages software and strong Excel skills are key.
You will not only have the right experience on paper but also the right personal 'fit' - you will live and breathe our culture and values, with a visible passion for the work we do and a desire to be part of our story.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Invoice & Expense Management & Processing • Efficient management of the invoicing email inbox
• Review and upload purchase invoices and expense claims daily ensuring they are compliant, correctly approved, authorised and filed.
• Ensure the completeness and accuracy of processing by undertaking statement reconciliations, aged creditors reconciliations.
• Investigate queries from suppliers and those arising as a result of reconciliations in month to ensure transactions are timeously captured in the relevant month.
• Work with the Finance Systems Manager in developing related procedures and processes.
• Develop and deliver induction and on-going training to staff, on all aspects of purchasing processes and procedures.
• Respond to staff queries on procurement policy or procedures.
Banking & Payments • Set up and management of regular payruns
• Daily update of cashbook
• Petty cash counts and management
• Ensure the billing to Mercy Corps Global (MCG) is carried out to timescale on a monthly basis and that the resultant cash settlement is reconciled.
• Manage the filing systems efficiently filing all the paperwork in the most appropriate manner throughout the processing process.
• Arrange the archiving of purchase ledger documents in line with statutory requirements.
Other • As part of the department's commitment to continuous improvement, all staff are encouraged to be proactive and lead on ad hoc HQ projects aimed at streamlining processes or increasing efficiency. As part of the HQ Finance Team, the Assistant will work with the HQ Finance Systems Manager on developing, streamlining, and documenting policies, processes and procedures•
As part of the MCE annual statutory audit liaise with external audit as required.
• Meet key performance indicator targets for purchase ledger.
• Act as basic cover for the HQ Finance Officer in their absence.
• Produce ad hoc reports on expenditure and suppliers as required.
Organisational Learning • As part of our commitment to organisational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organisations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries • Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
• Ideally working towards a qualification in accounting or with a degree in a finance related field, with around 18 months+ of work experience in a busy finance department.
• Experience of computerised accountancy packages and proficiency with MS Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Strong Excel skills key.
• Experience in SUN systems an advantage.
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• Some experience of working in or with an NGO would be preferable.
• Excellent organisational and time management skills.
• Systematic, with a strong eye for detail.
• Can work quickly, accurately and to deadlines.
• Able to build and maintain effective internal and external relationships.
• Strong team worker and communicator.
• Able to cope with changing priorities, often at short notice, and work well under pressure.
• Proactive and solutions-based attitude.
• High levels of motivation, professionalism and resilience.
• An exposure to and interest in international development issues is important, along with an empathy for MC's mission.
The position is based in Edinburgh and may involve occasional national and international travel.
MCE team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a short-term assignment or trip to country offices. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Mercy Corps locations.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps' vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.