Deputy Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Deputy Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
The Roma Education Fund’s (REF) mission and ultimate goal is to close the gap in educational outcomes between Roma and non-Roma. In order to achieve this goal, the organization supports policies and programs which ensure quality education for Roma through scholarships, grant making and advocacy activities. The objectives of REF include:
- Expanding Romani children’s access to quality early childhood education and care
- Improving primary education outcomes for Romani children aged six to fourteen
- Boosting academic performance and graduation rates from secondary education for Romani pupils
- Supporting access to tertiary education, improving graduation levels and strengthening identity of Romani university students
- Expanding employment opportunities for young Romani adults
The Roma Education Fund operates its activities in close links with civil society and institutional partners in 16 countries of Central, Eastern and South-Eastern Europe.
Under the supervision of Chief Financial Officer, the Deputy CFO will be based in REF HQ in Belgrade, Serbia. Deputy CFO supervises the work of IT Officer and two Administrative Officers within the Finance and Administration Department.
Deputy CFO is responsible to:
- Work with the Chief Financial Officer, other Executive Team members, and staff in developing policies and a vision for the future.
- Develop policies, procedures and processes to promote internal controls, safeguarding of REF assets, prevention of fraud, compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, sound business practices and relevant local and international regulations.
- Monitor the day-to-day financial operations, such as payroll, invoicing, and other transactions
- Assist the CFO and the Director in the preparation of the presentations for Management Board meetings
- Present financial reports to board members, stakeholders, executives, and clients in formal meetings
- Participate in the organization of board meetings and retreats and other REF events
- Participate in reporting to REF’s donors based on their requirements
- Review financial data and prepare monthly and annual reports
- Participate in meetings with donors and other stakeholders.
- Track REF Entities financial status and performance to identify areas for potential improvement
- Ensure that finances of REF Entities are effectively and efficiently managed with sufficient controls through systems and procedures to mitigate fraud, abuse or misuse of funds.
- Provide insightful information and expectations to senior executives to aid in long-term and short-term decision making
- Assist in designing network budget and budget for calls
- Supervise the grant giving process and monitoring
- Stay up to date with technological advances and accounting software to be used for financial purposes
- Understand and adhere to financial regulations and legislation.
- Oversee accounting of books of REF Serbia, coordinating annual or mid year closing, preparation of the local Annual Report.
- Supervise and guide financial department employees, including financial, admin and IT officers or assistants and accountants
- Oversee the hiring, training, supervising, reviewing, subordinate staff as needed.
- Perform any other tasks delegated orally or in writing by superior officers.
- SC. or MA in economic, accounting or related sciences
- 7 – 10 years of experience
- Chartered accountant experience
- Extensive knowledge of financial operations and accounting,
- Compulsory fluency in English language,
- Preference for candidates who are fluent in Romani language,
- Desirable knowledge of at least one other foreign language in countries where the REF Network carries out its activities,
- Ability to manage complex international projects, staff and donors from different countries,
- Outstanding strategic and organizational planning skills
- Gender sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Initiative: Actively seeks to improve programs or services; Seeks challenging experiences and approaches them with passion, enthusiasm and professionalism;
- Planning and Organization: Develops clear goals and achieves results that are consistent with agreed strategies; Adapts and reacts in a flexible manner when necessary;
- Communication: Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork: Works independently and collaboratively with others to achieve organizational goals; Shares knowledge and insight with others;
- Ownership: Accepts personal responsibility (including shortcomings) and ownership of actions (including for work unit, where applicable) for achieving results; Understands organizational vision, mission and values, and leverages this knowledge when making decisions; Makes tough decisions when necessary;
- Development: Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally and to contribute to the growth of the organization; Seeks feedback to learn and improve the organization.
- Strategic Thinking: identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks and integrates them into operations of the organization; generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction inspiring others to pursue that same direction; identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; ensures that sufficient resources are available for actions proposed.
- Leadership: serves as a role model that other people want to follow by communicating effectively and persuading others; promotes at all times values and competencies of the organization; manages in a deliberate and predictable way; provides an environment in which others can talk and act without fear or repercussion; operates with transparency, has no hidden agenda; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information.
- Managing Performance: makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff and provides timely and constructive feedback; delegates responsibility, clarifies expectations and gives staff autonomy in important areas of their work; genuinely values all staff members’s input and expertise.
In order to develop and deliver our education programs that provide quality, inclusive education for Roma children and youth, we believe in five core values that join us together and that mirror the work, actions and ideals of our organization and its culture:
- Tenacity; Integrity; Justice; Accountability; Inquisitiveness
How to apply
Qualified candidates are invited to send their Cover Letters, CV`s (both in English) and contact details of three Reference persons by 9 December 2019 via email to email@example.com with the subject line: Deputy CFO, Belgrade
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Selection process is based on a written test and competency-based interview.
Individuals identifying themselves as Roma and fulfilling the above-mentioned profile and requirements are particularly encouraged to apply.
Roma Education Fund is an equal opportunities employer.