Intellectual Assets – Legal Counsel
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Intellectual Assets Legal Counsel to work in the Legal Department under CSP (Corporate Services Program).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, and located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Support Intellectual Assets Contract Life Cycle Management, which consists of drafting, review, negotiation, amendment, release, quality control, management, and archiving of Intellectual Assets related contracts and agreements entered into by CIMMYT with national and international (private and public) entities.
- Support the development and implementation of Intellectual Asset management strategies, and CIMMYT and CGIAR cross-institutional projects and policies.
- Support in the preparation and maintenance of registrations for Intellectual Property protection in Mexico, including the filing of applications for copyright and related rights, and trademark renewals.
- Manage databases, including Legal Department agreements and IP protection filings.
- Conduct online research in international, regional, and local Intellectual Property databases (including patent and trademark resources).
- Manage curation of a database of CIMMYT agreements and other documents at Headquarters and Regional Offices; maintain a high level of support for stakeholders requiring input, search, and update data and information.
- Manage and track a high volume of tasks and projects.
- Maintain Intellectual Assets calendar with meetings, filings, and reports required by stakeholders; follow-up with contributors to meet established deadlines; maintain related documentation.
- Support preparation of IP reports.
- Draft legal correspondence, memos, and other documents as necessary.
- Prepare, manage, organize, and maintain Intellectual Asset related records.
- Establish a database of nonstandard Intellectual Asset commitments and restrictions; manage database search function.
- Record minutes and other meetings related to Intellectual Assets; prepare IA team trip reports for distribution.
- Participate in the optimization of processes for legal services processes and guidelines
- Ensure proper follow up of entrusted matters, tracking these matters daily in the provided dashboards and KPI monitoring tools that will be used in the preparation in the progress update to the relevant areas.
- Update the Intellectual Assets annual work plan document with input from task owners.
- Provide other support as required and perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- A valid license to practice law, with a law degree from a reputable university, a specialization in technology transfer or an LLM in IP Law is highly desirable.
- Minimum of 3 years of Intellectual Property law experience within a company or law firm in the field of patent law, copyright law, licensing and technology transfer. Additional experience or knowledge in private and public sector industries related to agricultural R&D, biotechnology, or big data is a plus.
- Experience in the management and tracking of Intellectual Asset contractual commitments.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate legal concepts in plain language to scientists, managers, and other non-legal stakeholders.
- Advanced language skills in English and Spanish); other languages are a plus.
- Proficient computer skills (at a minimum: Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat) and willingness to learn/master other programs and software as necessary.
- Excellent organizational, writing, research, and communication skills, including the ability to spot issues.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and discretion.
- The candidate must exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Proactive, Communication, Problem Solving, Achievement Orientation, Multi-Cultural Awareness/ Sensitivity, Teamwork, Time Management, and Collaboration.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law, our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, Mexican social benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M19156 Intellectual Assets – Legal Counsel. Screening and follow up will begin on Wednesday, December 4, 2019. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Karen Luna (email@example.com).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.