Intellectual Assets – Senior Legal Counsel
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Intellectual Assets – Senior Legal Counsel to work in the Legal Department under CSP (Corporate Services Program).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, and located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Support the development and implementation of Intellectual Asset management strategies, and CIMMYT and CGIAR cross-institutional projects and policies.
- Lead the implementation of the strategies through the management of Intellectual Assets, plant genetic resources, and regulatory (data, privacy, and biosafety) issues, which include compliant approaches on and implementation of technology transfer methodologies, Ethics in research, CGIAR Intellectual Asset Principles; and Treaties and Laws applicable to CIMMYT Operations (and related reports).
- Develop and negotiate research and development (R&D) agreements and other Intellectual Asset-related agreements.
- Provide legal assessment of technologies chosen by scientific team members to be used in CIMMYT’s research agenda, including the research and analysis of legislation and regulations, in various jurisdictions relating to Intellectual Assets, plant genetic resources, digital environment content, freedom to operate, and other regulatory issues.
- Conduct risk assessments and interact with national and international private and public sector entities.
- Prepare and maintain registrations for Intellectual Property protection in Mexico, including the filing of applications for copyright and related rights, and trademark renewals.
- Manage databases, including Legal Department agreements and IP protection filings.
- Create a calendar system for the Intellectual Assets team, including registration renewals, filings, and reports, in collaboration with other CIMMYT units.
- Prepare educational materials for Staff and stakeholders in support of institutional research policies and procedures.
- Participate in the optimization of processes for legal services processes and guidelines
- Coordinate the timely completion of ticketing systems requests for the review and drafting of Intellectual asset content in diverse agreements.
- Ensure proper follow up of entrusted matters, tracking these matters daily in the provided dashboards and KPI monitoring tools that will be used in the preparation in the progress update to the relevant areas.
- Provide support to the Legal Department in the review, drafting, and clause library creation of Intellectual Asset content in various agreements.
- Provide mentorship to Junior Legal Department team members in Intellectual Asset management strategies, and CIMMYT and CGIAR cross-institutional projects and policies.
- Provide other support as required and perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- A valid license to practice law, with a law degree from a reputable university, and a specialization in technology transfer or an LLM in IP Law.
- Minimum of 7 years of Intellectual Property law experience within a company or law firm in the field of patent law, copyright law, licensing and technology transfer. Additional experience or knowledge in private and public sector industries related to agricultural R&D, biotechnology, or big data is a plus.
- Experience in the management and tracking of Intellectual Asset contractual commitments.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate legal concepts in plain language to scientists, managers, and other non-legal stakeholders.
- Native-level language skills in English and Spanish); other languages are a plus. (English test will be administered; candidate must score a minimum of C1 as per CEFR).
- Proficient computer skills (at a minimum: Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat) and willingness to learn/master other programs and software as necessary.
- Excellent organizational, writing, research, and communication skills, including the ability to spot issues.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and discretion.
- The candidate must exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Proactive, Communication, Problem Solving, Achievement Orientation, Multi-Cultural Awareness/ Sensitivity, Teamwork, Time Management, and Collaboration.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law, our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, Mexican social benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M19157 Intellectual Assets – Senior Legal Counsel. Screening and follow up will begin on Wednesday, December 4, 2019. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Karen Luna (email@example.com).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.