Building and Infrastructure Project Manager (SMB-SE-2019-119-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a project manager with outstanding negotiation and organizational skills? Do you enjoy achieving high-quality results? Do you like to build effective collaborations with your colleagues and contractors?
Make your contribution to exciting and dynamic civil engineering projects within the most unique particle physics laboratory in the world: CERN. Take part!
As Building and Infrastructure Project Manager, you will be responsible for the execution of building and infrastructure projects from the initial conceptual design to the final delivery to the end-users.
- Gather requirements from the end-users.
- Set up project structures with accurate human and financial resource estimations.
- Manage change requests.
- Plan and coordinate the work of the project design consultants including the selection process and the setup and management of consultancy contracts.
- Plan, coordinate and manage the execution of works including the setup and management of construction contracts.
- Ensure that costs and schedules are maintained.
- Ensure that all constructions comply with the contractual drawings and documents, norms and regulations.
- Oversee the work, check measurements, commitments, and payments.
- Negotiate financial settlements with consultants and contractors.
- Make sure that all safety measures are taken on the worksites in order to keep the incident rate to a minimum.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of civil engineering or architecture, or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in managing large projects for building and infrastructure, with full responsibility throughout the project lifecycle.
- Proven experience of coordinating different professions (architect, structural engineers, HVAC engineers, electrical engineers, technical/legal/financial advisors, contractors…).
- Proven experience in procurement processes (definition of procurement strategy, selection of firms, call for tenders…).
- Demonstrated experience in the design and/or execution of surface civil engineering projects.
The following will be considered an asset:
- Experience in the industrial and/or scientific environment.
- Proven experience in the design and/or construction of scientific facilities.
- Proven experience with the standard international contracts (e.g. FIDIC).
- Design of civil buildings.
- Design of industrial buildings: and data centers.
- Knowledge of building construction, consolidation, and renovation.
- Quality management.
- Project management.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Optimizing resources: realistically assessing human and financial resource needs, evaluating risks and plans accordingly effectively managing the budget, optimizing human and financial resources.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organized approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: utilizing effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12.01.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Residence in the immediate vicinity of the Organization's installations.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving license.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: SMB-SE-2019-119-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Civil Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further