Software Engineer (IT-CF-SM-2019-121-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a versatile Software Engineer with good knowledge of Service Management processes and a flair for communication? Are you interested in becoming one of the key Service Management Process developers in the IT Department? Are you interested in interacting directly with end users? Join CERN and work in a place like nowhere on Earth. Take part!
You will join:
- The IT Computing Facilities (CF) Group, which is responsible for management and operation of the Computer Centre and associated Computing Facilities. This includes the procurement of servers and storage with related validation activities, as well as planning the needs of procurement and retirements. The Group also provides and supports tools for the automated operation of large-scale computing facilities as well as an up-to-date hardware inventory for equipment installed.
- The Service Management Section (SM) is the team looking after all “Service Management” activities for the IT Department and ensuring ITIL implementation with the commercial software ServiceNow.
- More information on the Department is at: http://cern.ch/it-dep.
As a Software Engineer in the IT-CF-SM Section, you will become part of the “Service Management at CERN” team, a joint service run by the two departments SMB and IT. You will also play a key role in maintaining a good relationship and communication between the IT department and the CERN Service Management users.
Your main functions will include:
- Implement and maintain Service Management processes in the CERN ITSM system (ServiceNow).
- Provide support to users of the CERN ITSM tool (ServiceNow).
- Develop, document and deploy integrations to other systems.
- Be involved in Quality Management and Continual Improvement of services provided by the IT department.
- Assure that adequate documentation and training is created and maintained for the different players in the service delivery process.
- Take a leading role in technical evaluations and in the development of tools used for all Service Management activities.
- Take part in the day-to-day operational support, such as performance monitoring, diagnostic and resolution.
- Contribute to standardization and automation of business workflows.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computing or a related field.
- Experience with a modern ITSM tool and a good understanding of ITIL principles or similar best-practices framework for Service Management.
- Practical knowledge of a software development life-cycle concept.
- Previous experience with relational database technology.
- Experience with user and service support.
- Previous experience working in teams in an international environment would be an asset.
- Design of databases/repositories: good understanding and experience with relational database technology.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: extensive knowledge of scripting languages, web services, software development processes and techniques.
- Testing, diagnosing and optimization of software: understanding of the concurrent lifecycle process of engineering in order to measure and improve quality of software.
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software: understanding the principles of incremental and logical integration of components in order to create operational services.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- The language competencies required for this post are:
- Very good spoken and written English.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.01.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-CF-SM-2019-121-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further