Lead Engineer, Multiple positions
Background Information - Job-specific
Following the devastation caused to life, livelihoods and property by tropical storm Idai in March 2019, the WB has allocated up to US$ 72 million to finance a recovery project for Zimbabwe and the African Development Bank has allocated US$ 25 million to finance socioeconomic recovery in Zimbabwe. The projects addresses both early and mid-term recovery needs in multiple sectors (livelihoods, health, education, agriculture and infrastructure). UNOPS has been requested to establish a multiple project in Zimbabwe to assist with the recovery of the selected areas in Zimbabwe that were most affected by the storm.
There are multiple projects and sections that require Lead Engineers including the World Bank funded Zimbabwe Hurricane Idai Recovery Project (ZIRP) and the AFDB funded Socioeconomic Recovery Project.
The Lead Engineers required will be based in the districts of Chipinge and Chimanimani.
The Lead Engineer (RE) is responsible for all aspects of the project life cycle. S/he must be able to apply with direction, the duties and responsibilities of the project success criteria, given below.
The incumbents will be based in with regular travel to other Districts Manicaland region regions and will work in close collaboration with their respective Project Managers and the KEMC Technical Services Unit.
The Lead Engineers will work under the guidance and supervision of and report to their respective Project Managers to monitor the construction work implemented by contractors and by direct implementation.This list is not representative of all the duties required but indicates typical duties and responsibilities.
● Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
● Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance).
● Manage the information flows between the Project Manager and the rest of the construction teams.Delivery and Performance:
● Implement approved work packages (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the Project Managers
● Manage the production of the required products, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary.
● Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers.
● Advise the Project Managers of any deviations from the plan.
● Identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit to clients and stakeholders is achieved. Manage and review product quality and ensure products are accepted.
● Monitor and evaluate the performance of service providers.
● Identify and report potential business opportunities for UNOPS to supervisor. Identify and report threats to UNOPS internal business case to supervisor.Procedures:
● Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions).
● Prepare Checkpoint Reports and Monthly Progress Report.
● Ensure that all expenditures comply with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR).
● Manage budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
● Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel.
● Manage and remain accountable for expenditures against the budget (based on accurate financial reports).Knowledge Management:
● Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice.
● Actively interact with other project management team, Engineers, quantity surveyor etc. Complete lessons learned as per reporting format.
● Incorporate lessons learned from others as per planning format.Personnel Management:
● Lead and motivate the Construction teams.
● Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established.
● Ensure that performance reviews are conducted.
● Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the Supervisor.
● Have a thorough understanding of UNOPS personnel contract modalities (including ICA and Staff). Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UN DSS standards.Core Values:
● Understand and respect National ownership and capacity:
● Seek opportunities to recruit qualified staff.
● Look for ways to build capacity of local counterparts.
Service to Others:
● As the project is representative of the United Nations it should be firmly rooted in the principle of service to others. This should be considered carefully in the development of project plans.
Accountability for results and the use of resources:
● The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or processes is not in line with this, it is the responsibility of the RE to raise the issue to a supervisor.
● Ensure that the project produces the required products within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits.
● Maintain relevant records and files onsite.
● Under the guidance of the PM- prepare and circulate periodic reports on all aspects of the progress of the construction.
● Monitor Construction works progress.
● Notify the Project Managers promptly on all matters which require immediate decisions and/or actions, particularly aspects which are not within the RE’s authority.
● The RE shall be responsible for the progress control and quality control of construction works. S/He will be responsible for daily onsite supervision of all works of the contractor and thereby ensure onsite quality control of construction works.
Additionally, the Lead Engineer will be responsible for:
● Daily coordination with relevant stakeholders such as other UN agencies, NGOs, Community and government counterparts and contractors.
● Quality Control
● Schedule and Time Management
● Providing relevant Information to enable reporting in line with the provisions of this Design Document and the MoU Certify Billing
● Closing the ProjectPerform other related duties assigned by the respective Project Managers.
- University Degree in Civil Engineering or other relevant discipline is required.
● Postgraduate qualifications will be an advantage.Experience
- Seven years of progressive experience in management, site supervision with focus on monitoring, reporting, development and coordination in either public or private sector organizations required.
- Candidates with experience working on International /local projects in disaster prone areas will be an asset
- Experience in contracting and/or consulting environment is also an advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral English language is required
- Working knowledge of another, official UN language is desirable
● PRINCE 2 Foundation Certification is an asset
● A membership of a related professional association is an advantage
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- The position is based in a family duty station.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
[Instructions: Please delete this paragraph and insert relevant information below: Contract type: ICA
Contract level: Local ICA 10
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
4 Lead Engineers will be required for the above mentioned projects (2 based in Chimanimani and 2 based in Chipinge)