Under the overall guidance and supervision of the SEESAC Project Manager, the Operations Analyst provides programmatic and operational support in the implementation of SEESAC projects in the region. This includes coordination of SEESAC operations, including administration, procurement, logistical, ICT and common services in line with UNDP rules and regulations, ensuring smooth functioning of the Programme’s operations, and efficient project implementation through consistent services delivery and evaluation and readjustment of the operations to take into account changes in the operating environment as and when needed.
The Operations Analyst is responsible for ensuring the highest efficiency of operational services, the provision of accurate, thoroughly researched and documented information, transparent utilization of various resources, analyzing and interpreting the rules and regulations and providing solutions to a wide spectrum of complex operational issues.
The Operations Analyst leads and guides the Programme Operations Team and fosters collaboration within the team, with programme staff and with other COs, donors and programme stakeholders. The Operations Analyst works in close collaboration with programme and project teams, operations staff in other UNDP COs, donors’ representatives and Government officials to successfully deliver operations services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensuring strategic direction of operations under SEESAC Project Manager guidance;
- Resources management and supervision of the administration team;
- Ensuring effective management of SEESAC projects by facilitating partnerships and implementing resources mobilization strategies and preparation of reports;
- Human Resources Management and supervision of recruitment processes and budgetary availabilities/constrains with this regard;
- Ensuring efficient procurement and logistical services;
- Information and communication management and supervision of related activities;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing.
1. Ensures the strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results;
- Programme business processes mapping and follow up of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in operations - Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services applicable in COs involved in the implementation of the programme;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment of the operations, providing advice on legal considerations and risk assessment;
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the programme office, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Overseeing and supervising assistants’ work with regards to the operations management processes.
2. Ensures effective and accurate resources management and supervision of the administration team, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and monitoring of project resources, including DPC and other extra-budgetary income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Proper management of the contributions, management business process and accounting for contributions to ensure that the money due to UNDP SEESAC is properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation.
- Preparation and monitoring of projects’ budgets in Atlas;
- Proper management of dashboards and ensuring high performance of the project office including submission of timely quarterly/mid/end year certifications and reports
- Preparation of ad-hoc reports for the programme management team and the donor reports as per the signed contracts with the donors;
- All financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures;
- Liaising with IRH operations team on the reviewal of financial reports to donors, ensuring the figures are correct and in compliance with IPSAS;
- Conducting budget revisions in accordance with the project management decisions and needs of the implemented project activities.
3. Ensuring effective management of SEESAC projects by facilitating partnerships and implementing resources mobilization strategies and preparation of reports, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Establishment of collaborate arrangements with potential partners, a Client relationship Management system for resource mobilization purposes and appropriate operational partnership arrangements;
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for preparation of project documents’ drafts, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements;
- Inspection of project supporting documentation and follow up of the contractual terms and conditions of the signed contracts/awards making sure the project activities are performed in line with the approved and signed contract documents;
- Initiation of a project, creation of projects proposals in Atlas and preparation of required budget revisions;
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and monitoring of resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
4. Ensuring Human Resources Management and supervision of recruitment processes and budgetary availabilities/constrains with this regard and focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies;
- Optimal staffing of the office and projects;
- Oversight of recruitment processes in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, ensuring the availability of funds;
- Establishment and maintenance of the proper performance management and staff development systems.
5. Ensuring provision of efficient procurement and logistical services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the programme procurement strategies;
- Ensuring the procurement plans are being developed in accordance with the available funds;
- Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Acting as a buyer in Atlas;
- Performance of Travel Processor role in Atlas taking care that the adequate funds have been charged and payments made;
- Proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of the programme assets.
6. Ensuring forward-looking information and communication management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services;
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability;
- Ensuring proper management of the programme through Atlas;
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning.
7. Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of on-boarding sessions and trainings for the operations/ project staff;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in the area of operations;
- Review and comment SOPs and business processes;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Ability to manage conflicts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Develops awareness of the various internal/external learning and knowledge-sharing resources
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets; manage contributions and investments; manage transactions; and conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery.
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates the same in his/her work
- Analyses the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to diagnose problems and identifies and communicates processes to support change initiatives
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Make recommendations relative to work-processing approaches and procedures which would lead to more efficient systems design
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers, analyses and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s) or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics, Social studies or related field.
- BA degree in the areas of Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics, Social studies or related field
- Diploma in accounting recognized by a professional institution (ACCA, ISM, IBAM or IAB) would be an asset.
- Advanced (Master’s) Degree in the area of administration/common services management
- BA degree with 2 years of working experience in the areas of financial resources management and administration/common services management;
2. More years of working experience will be considered an asset.
3. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages is required.
4. Profound experience in handling of web-based management systems (ERP) is required.
5. Experience with the provision of advisory and/or support services on project management, finance, and other operational matters is required.
6. Experience of accrual accounting and IPSAS is required.
7. Experience in budgets development and management is required.
8. Experience in performing operational and financial management and reporting of EU funded projects is a strong asset
9. Knowledge of UNDP rules and regulations is an asset.
- Written and spoken proficiency in English and Serbian is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.