As part of the UN country team in Sudan, UNDP aims to contribute to the significant reduction of extreme poverty throughout the country and to support the establishment of a critical mass among Sudan’s people that is ready and able to engage in the development process of the country. In line with the overarching SDG goal “Leave No One Behind” (embedded among others in SDGs 1, 5,10 and 13), our Programme interventions target localities characterized by high levels of poverty and exclusion and those affected by conflict.
Our vision in Sudan is to strengthen resilience and prompt inclusive sustainable development in Sudan. This vision is fully aligned with UNDP’s corporate Strategic Plan as well as with the UNDAF currently being developed and embedded in the global SDG framework. To that end, we are supporting stabilization and governance for peace as well as environmentally sustainable development. We pay particular attention to the inclusion of marginalized groups, including women and youth representing the most promising potential for change in Sudan.
An annual average delivery of approximately US$ 100 million over the past 5 years, the Sudan Country Office is managing one of the largest portfolios in the region of Arab states. The portfolio is composed of three pillars: the UNDP core portfolio (US$ 30 million), the Global Fund portfolio (US$ 40 million) and the Managing Agent portfolio related to the Common Humanitarian Fund and the Darfur Community Peace and Stability Fund (US$ 30 million).
UNDP facilitates a peaceful transition from recovery to development in line with national priorities. Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of the Fund Management Unit, the Portfolio Analyst manages the FMU’s portfolio and grants management services to the clients served by the Funds Management Unit, ensuring high quality, accuracy, transparency, and consistency of work. The Portfolio Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
He/she mentors, supervises and manages the FMU Portfolio Associates, ensuring the efficient delivery of NGO portfolio management services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Manages FMU portfolio and contract management services of partner NGOs
- Management support for FMU AA and MA function and NGO monitoring processes
- Oversees project advance monitoring and management
- Manages the FMU portfolio associates’ team
- Promotes Capacity Building and facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Manages FMU portfolio and contract management services of partner NGOs focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Plans, maintains and applies a strong client-oriented focus for the FMU portfolio management, in agreement with established guidelines and protocol.
- Oversees and manages the submission of timely financial and narrative reports by NGOs in full compliance with UNDP rules, regulations, and policies, and terms of the Project Partnership Agreement / Responsible Party Agreement
- Guides the provision of clear guidance and support to NGOs regarding reporting, No Cost Extensions, and other Pooled Fund processes
- Backstops and supports portfolio associates in the detailed review of NGO reports against budget and project work plan, providing clear feedback and guidance. Identifies potential risks and recommends corrective actions.
- Monitors reports for consistency, quality assurance and data accuracy.
2. Provide management support for FMU AA and MA functions and NGO monitoring processes
- Quality-assures the set-up budgets in Atlas and prepare budget revisions as required
- Reviews and assures GLJEs for transferring funds from Parent to Child for the AA and MA functions
- Oversees and manages contribution management in the DMS for Funds allocations by HC and Steering Committee
- Reviews vouchers and checklists for NGO payment requests
- Determines timely corrective actions on portfolio transactions, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
3. Oversees project advance monitoring and management
- Ensures effective tracking and recording of NGO project advances, clearances, and the status of advances consistent with dashboard monitoring periods.
- Reviews and approves NGO advance request processing
- Monitors the delivery of the overall FMU portfolio and project delivery
- Ensures effective NIM advance management and alerts the Head of FMU in advance if NGO NEX advances will become aged. Recommends actions for risk management
4. Manages the FMU portfolio associates’ team
- Oversees and supports portfolio associates in their weekly and monthly planning of portfolio management activities
- Provides guidance and mentors the FMU portfolio associates in performing their key functions
- Reviews and quality assure portfolio and contract management services, including review of NGO project budgets and plans, provision of project advances, advance clearance, and processing of payments.
- Identifies performance issues relating to the management of NGO portfolios and supports the head of FMU in the development and application of effective solutions.
5. Promotes Capacity Building and Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Supports the head of FMU in the development of clear guidance and support to NGOs
- Designs and plans workshops to strengthen the capacity of NGOs
- Plans and participates in field based monitoring missions as required
- Manages the support to monitoring and reporting officers through sharing contract monitoring information and developing guidelines and relevant tools
- Under the guidance of the head of FMU, plans and organizes trainings for new and junior level staff
- Develops synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in portfolio monitoring
Impact of Results:
The key results ensure the successful execution of the CO Managing Agent (MA) function and success in implementation of operational strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of portfolio information ensures proper MA-related processes in the CO.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully.
Ability to persuade others to follow: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Models independent thinking and action.
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Preparing information for advocacy, identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis. Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work. Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues. Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders. Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Enhancing processes or products, generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things. Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches. Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies:
Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors. Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors. Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things. Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches. Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position. Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences. Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Establishing effective client relationships, Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion. Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Business Administration, International Development, Finance, or Public Administration. Internationally recognized certification in finance / accounting constitutes an advantage.
2 years of relevant experience in providing portfolio management and advisory services, managing staff and operational systems.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS
Fluency in both oral and written English and Arabic.