Project Support Assistant – Community Centers
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified individual to fill in the vacancy of Project Support Assistant – Community Centers to work in Daraa under an employment contract
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been actively operating in Syria since 2008 mainly supporting refugees. In June 2012, DRC was authorized by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to expand its humanitarian efforts and provide assistance to IDPs and the vulnerable resident population countrywide. Since then, DRC activities have been focused on NFI distributions, Shelter, WASH, Protection, Education, Livelihoods and Mine Risk Education in six Governorates (Damascus, Rural Damascus, Dara'a, Aleppo, Hama, and Homs). While Protection/community service activities are provided to beneficiaries throughout our six Community Centers.
About the job
Assist the center’s Supervisor in implementing the community center’s objectives
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the planning, preparation, and coordination, development and networking among all the units and administration.
- Represent the center’s supervisor in his/her absence (in agreement with the supervisor).
- Coordinates and oversees the events, activities, courses and support the working staff when assigning this task from the center’s supervisor.
- Coordinate and organize regular meetings between the different units.
- Supervising the identified needs for future events when approved by the center’s supervisor.
- Help in setting priorities and schedules appropriately for activities.
- Monitor the activities' attendance.
- Provide reports and minutes of meetings.
- Call and communicate with the beneficiaries, who are on the waiting list for confirmation.
- Assisting in receiving the center’s phone calls and ensure the correctness in giving answers.
- Any other task as required by DRC according to the nature of the work.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have
- University degree (Economics, Business Administration, literature) or equivalent degree.
- Minimum of two years of progressive experience in administrative filed
- Average command of the English language.
- Good at computer programs (Word, Excel, Internet).
- Have the Desire to voluntary work, teamwork and skilled in communicating.
- Administrative skills.
- Flexibility, creativity, tolerance, and maturity.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract Length: up to six months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Interested? Then apply for this position, go to
And click on "Apply for position".
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: the 8th of December 2019.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.