Theoretical Physicist (TH-SP-2019-123-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
We are looking for a theoretical physicist in the area of string theory/ mathematical physics, and our search will therefore be targeted preferentially towards a theoretical physicist with experience in this specific field.
The objectives of the Theoretical Physics Department are:
- Develop new theoretical ideas aimed at understanding the fundamental constituents and forces of nature.
- Develop their relevance for the experimental programme of CERN and to take full advantage of the stimulating environment of a large laboratory.
- Contribute to the general scientific culture at CERN through active participation in the various training programmes and promotion of scientific events on site.
Your main functions will include:
- Making significant contributions to theoretical research related to elementary particle physics.
- Establishing a close link with the Mathematics Department at the University of Geneva.
- Participating in and initiating a large variety of activities within the Theoretical Physics Department and possibly in collaboration with the experimental physicists working at CERN.?
- Taking part in CERN committees and study groups. Helping maintain continued contacts with the outside scientific community.
PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Physics or a related field.
- Thorough knowledge of theoretical physics. Approximately 5 to 10 years' post-doctoral research activities which have led to the publication of high quality scientific papers on subjects linked to the research carried out at CERN.
- Evidence of ability to make significant contributions to the work of the Organization
- Knowledge and application of computational and mathematical physics
- Knowledge and application of particle physics, phenomenology
- Achieving results
- Solving problems
- Building relationships
- Creating vision and strategic partnerships
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (3 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TH-SP-2019-123-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Theoretical Physicist
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further