- Type of traineeship: Researcher Trainee
- Location: Brétigny-sur-Orge
- Directorate/Service: DECMA/INO/VIF - Simulation & Validation Infrastructure Unit
- Publication date: 26/11/2019
- Closing date: 24/12/2019
The EUROCONTROL Experimental Centre (EEC) in Brétigny, France carries out Research and Development in Air Traffic Management (ATM).
Within the Directorate European Civil-Military Aviation, the Simulation and Validation team is looking for a dynamic trainee to support the conduct of a real-time simulation (RTS) in our new Tower Simulation Facility. The RTS will simulate airport surface movements on the New Istanbul Airport.
PURPOSE OF THE TRAINEESHIP
You will closely work together with the human factors team, whose role is to prepare, carry out and analyse the required human performance assessments during the RTS. During your traineeship you will have the opportunity to conduct your own research project topic, which you will define with the validation leader of the RTS who will mentor you.
This traineeship requires to have a student status.
You will participate in the following tasks:
- Contribute to the development of surveys for the post-exercise assessment of subjective workload, situational awareness, and criteria of acceptance of the tested operational concept. We use the open-source LimeSurvey tool;
- Extract and analyse performance metrics to answer the various research questions of the RTS. Metric development could be an area where you find your research topic;
- Support the reporting and visualisation of the results. Integrating data from the survey and the simulation recordings and create appealing visualisations is a challenging task of the validation team. We use the business intelligence tool Tableau for this purpose. If you like data analysis, you will like this task. You may find here your research topic;
- Participate in the drafting of the final validation report. You will learn what the European Operational Concept Validation Methodology (E-OCVM) is and how it is applied.
We are looking for bright students:
- In a master’s programme preferably with a focus on human factors (e.g. Psychology, Aerospace Engineering);
- With a good command of English. Knowing some French would help. Any other language (for this particular RTS this would be Turkish) is an advantage;
- Understanding of air traffic management is an advantage but not a requirement;
- Knowledge and Skills in experimental design is an asset;
- Experience with statistical analysis tools (SPSS, SAS, R,) or with the Tableau data visualisation tool is also an advantage.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of ECAC Member States only.
- This opportunity falls under the Traineeship Programme Regulations.
- A flat-rate allowance of €900 per month as a contribution towards living expenses will be granted.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to take up appointment and leave may be covered by means of a lump sum.
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, age, disability, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, religion or belief, marital or parental status and sexual orientation.
In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics.
- Only the candidates who will be invited for an interview/test will be informed of the outcome of the selection.