Technical Adviser (Land Desertification Control Expert)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) of Saudi Arabia. The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme is the first project that has been approved within the framework of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project’s expected results will be achieved through the implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishers and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rainfed cereal production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the PMU of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Technical Adviser reports to the Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Support to capacity development for developing and implementing strategies and plans for combating desertification and reducing sand encroachment
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with departmental/divisional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Advises on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Conducts situation analysis and maps current status of land desertification in Saudi Arabia;
• Reviews and assesses current strategies, plans and initiatives for combating desertification and reducing sand encroachment in Saudi Arabia;
• Undertakes diagnoses and analyses of the current institutional framework for dealing with vegetation cover and combating desertification;
• Engages stakeholders, and establishes multistakeholder platforms for engagement on combating desertification and reducing sand encroachment;
• Leads the development and implementation of a capacity development programme for Government and stakeholders on developing and implementing strategies and plans for combating desertification and reducing sand encroachment;
• Leads the preparation of a strategy and action plan to combat desertification and reduce sand encroachment and assists in its implementation;
• Provides technical support for the establishment of the National Centre for Development of Vegetation Cover and Combating Desertification;
• Assists in building an appropriate organizational and governance structure of the Centre and in preparation of its operational manuals;
• Supports the assessment of staffing requirements of the Centre, preparation of job description and specifications and preparation and implementation of recruitment plans for hiring its personnel;
• Supports the implementation of appropriate measures and systems for measurement of the performance of the Centre;
• Provides technical support to the development and operation of a system for monitoring desertification and sand dynamics in Saudi Arabia;
• Leads the development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the south and north for land desertification control;
• Leads the development and dissemination of information and knowledge products for land desertification control.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in land desertification, sand encroachment, soil sciences, natural resources management or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in combating desertification and reducing sand encroachment, implementation and management of technical assistance for capacity strengthening in the field of combating desertification and reducing sand encroachment;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Extent and relevance of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Demonstrated experience and proven records of successfully completing land desertification control assignments;
• Extent and relevance of experience related to successful implementation and management of technical assistance for capacity strengthening in the field of land desertification control;
• Demonstrated capacity to coordinate country level activities and to organize and lead consultative processes involving several partner institutions and stakeholders;
• Extent and relevance of experience in project management including familiarity with the development of results frameworks, logical framework, project work plans and budget;
• Working knowledge of Arabic is considered a strong asset.