Technical Officer (Water Management)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The position is based in the FAO Representation office, Islamabad, with travel to Multan and Hyderabad (project areas). The FAO Representation in Pakistan, focuses its efforts on poverty reduction, food security, sustainable livelihoods and rural development. FAO has partnered with the Government of Pakistan on research and development, training, extension services and strengthening of the staff capacity in planning and policy-making. FAO has supported improvements in agricultural policy analysis, strengthened institutions and enhanced integrated area development and expanded participation of marginalized and vulnerable communities in sustainable development.
The Technical Officer reports to the Technical Adviser under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative in Pakistan. He/she works in close coordination with the provincial project coordinators in Multan and Hyderabad.
Technical and capacity development leadership and contribute to identify and pilot innovative initiatives in the area of efficient water management; leadership and technical expertise for the planning, development and implementation of projects, related-products, and services.
Research, technical analysis, and project related services to support the delivery of programme projects, products, and services.
• Researches and analyses technical-related issues on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists the review of relevant documents and reports;
• Produces a variety of technical information, data, statistics and documents as well as technical input for reports and web pages;
• Provides technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies and projects and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Collaborates in the development of improved/updated tools, systems, processes, and databases;
• Oversees the updating of databases and web pages;
• Participates in multidisciplinary teams, and/or leads working groups/teams collaborates with other departments and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices;
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, online tools;
• Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and guides partners in stakeholder consultations;
• Performs other duties as required.
• Supports the development, implementation and evaluation on technical issues of the water related components of the project; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
• Contributes to the preparation of various technically written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, technical guidelines, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Conducts studies to assess existing irrigation and water management practices and establish community managed demonstration plots to promote sustainable, cost effective and environmentally safe water management practices;
• Conducts assessment and technical feasibility studies to determine the scope for the reclamation of degraded land and rehabilitation of farmer-managed water courses (FMWCs) and water harvesting structures in the targeted areas;
• Monitors and analyses the data collection and compilation from field and different organizations required for the Association of California Water Agencies (ACWA) Portal;
• Ensures standard technical specifications, installation, operations and maintenance of water information system and related equipment;
• Drafts guidelines for the periodic maintenance, repair and rehabilitation of community-managed water courses;
• Provides both formal and on-the-job training relating to water related interventions to project staff and stakeholders;
• Participates in disaster risk reduction (DRR) activities, in particular those relating to irrigation and water management practices.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in political sciences, agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), or a related field;
• Five years of relevant experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Relevance and extent of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation s 'related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes.