Technical Officer (Results-based Monitoring and Reporting)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) of Saudi Arabia. The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme is the first project that has been approved within the framework of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through the implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishers and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rainfed cereal production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the PMU of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Technical Officer reports to the Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Results-based monitoring and reporting of sustainable rural agricultural development interventions in Saudi Arabia.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services.
• Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services;
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties;
• Assists in the coordination of programmes and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Assists/supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Advises on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Assesses current monitoring and reporting practices and systems used by the FAO-Saudi Programme including review of Key Performance Indicators and Targets of the programme and its relevant projects;
• Reviews and understands different reporting requirements/arrangements and system for FAO;
• Undertakes a benchmarking study for relevant results-based monitoring and reporting systems and identifies international best practices and lessons to be learned;
• Based on the aforementioned analysis, designs and implements a results-based monitoring and reporting system for the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme, which can be used at the programme and projects levels;
• Identifies data collection methodologies, frequency, responsibilities for indicators;
• Designs and conducts surveys to collect baseline data for indicators and targets and develops reporting guidelines and tools in accordance with FAO requirements;
• Trains programme and project staff to the new developed system and provides technical guidance and mentoring for its application;
• Leads development of refined and comprehensive overall programme Logical Framework Matrix (LFM) and for each of the projects, with clear expected results to be achieved by the FAO technical and advisory assistance at each level, uploads the LFMs into the FAO Field Programme Management Information System (FPMIS), and designs surveys to collect the relevant baseline data to measure programme targets and results;
• Prepares quarterly and semi-annual project progress reports and identifies lessons learned, constraints and issues that require timely resolution and corrective actions and presents recommendations for improving the performance;
• Prepares final reports of work and project terminal reports in accordance with the FAO standard format and in consultation with stakeholders;
• Leads development and dissemination of information and knowledge products for programme monitoring and reporting the logical framework.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, agricultural sciences, rural agricultural development or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in results-based project/programme monitoring and evaluation and the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems including experience in preparing logical frameworks, results-based work plans and budgets;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in monitoring complex programmes and/or projects, and coordination with different stakeholders;
• Demonstrated capacity to coordinate country level activities and to organize and lead consultative processes involving several partner institutions and stakeholders;
• Extent and relevance of experience in project management including familiarity with the development of results frameworks, logical framework, and results-based project work plans and budget;
• Working knowledge of Arabic is considered a strong asset.