Technical Adviser (Sustainable Rangeland Management Expert)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) of Saudi Arabia. The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme is the first project that has been approved within the framework of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through the implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishers and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rainfed cereal production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the PMU of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Technical Adviser reports to the Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Support to capacity development for sustainable community-based practices for rangeland management.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with departmental/divisional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Advises on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Conducts situation analysis for baseline assessment and diagnostic studies of rangeland to give directions to the sustainable development of the sector;
• Undertakes inventories of rangeland and natural resources of Saudi Arabia and conducts a study on Integrated Pest Management for rangeland vegetation cover protection;
• Identifies and ensures appropriate management of protected natural range areas to produce quality seeds of rangeland plants;
• Conducts a study on rangeland carrying capacity and assesses challenges and opportunities for sustainable rangelands management in Saudi Arabia;
• Undertakes a comprehensive assessment of the current livestock grazing systems and rangeland management practices and identifies community-based practices for livestock grazing and rangeland management suitable for Saudi Arabia;
• Prepares and updates the livestock grazing and rangeland management environmental, social, cultural and economic profile for each target region;
• Benchmarks best practices and systems and guidelines for sustainable community livestock grazing and rangeland management in countries similar to Saudi Arabia;
• Develops and updates a framework of criteria and indicators for evaluating performance of community-based practices for livestock grazing and rangeland management;
• Sets up community-based livestock grazing and rangeland management pilot demonstration sites and disseminates demonstration results and lessons to stakeholders and promotes adoption of community-based practices for livestock grazing and rangeland management;
• Prepares a strategy and plan for sustainable adoption and scaling up of successful community-based practices for livestock grazing and rangeland management;
• Contributes to assessment and quantification of rain water harvesting potential for rangeland improvement within the target regions and prepares and updates guideline for rain water harvesting for supporting rangeland improvement and fodder production;
• Prepares and implements a capacity development programme to support community-based livestock grazing and rangeland management;
• Leads the development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the south and the north for sustainable rangeland management;
• Leads the development and dissemination of information and knowledge products for sustainable rangeland management.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in rangeland conservation and management, natural resources management or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in rangeland conservation and management, implementation and management of technical assistance for capacity strengthening in the field of rangeland conservation and management;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Extent and relevance of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Demonstrated experience and proven records of successfully completing sustainable rangeland management assignments;
• Extent and relevance of experience related to implementation and management of technical assistance for capacity strengthening in the field of sustainable rangeland management;
• Demonstrated capacity to coordinate country level activities and to organize and lead consultative processes involving several partner institutions and stakeholders;
• Extent and relevance of experience in project management including familiarity with the development of results frameworks, logical framework, project work plans and budget;
• Working knowledge of Arabic is considered a strong asset.