Financial Management Specialist
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
- Formulation and implementation of corporate financial and administrative strategies, policies and procedures;
- Formulation, alignment, documentation and implementation of UNDP’s funding frameworks, assuring their integrity, viability and alignment with the Strategic Plan;
- Provision of policy guidance, advisory services and operational support to strengthen client capacities and help them achieve results, seeking to build consensus within UNDP and with key stakeholders on critical budgetary related matters requiring Executive Board legislation;
- Administration of the organization’s internal control framework, overseeing and monitoring financial management of all global UNDP offices, including through formulation/implementation of resource planning, management and oversight tools and reports;
- Promoting clear accountability for financial transactions and producing financial statements, including financial reporting to donors and the UNDP Executive Board.
- Providing corporate reporting guidance to ensure that fixed assets are adequately recorded in all locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Compiles and interprets critical resource data and projections as inputs to performance assessment and management decision-making process
- Assess performance of the HQ Units and COs against the financial dashboard and other financial indicators, identifying areas of improvement
- Analyzes trends in resource plans, allocations and budgets to assess the organization’s direction
- Assesses and monitors the utilization of all management resources (operating/staff) and development resources (regular/other), to confirm availability of resources, integrity of balances and provision for reserves
- Assist the Manager, Financial Resources in the development and provision of policies and procedures on financial resources and budget management
- Participates in indicator and target setting to establish reliable performance assessment criteria
- Coordinates, compiles, analyses and interprets performance related data for resources and results, to facilitate senior management’s review and assessment of such
- Supports the refinement and development of performance assessment tools to enhance the performance assessment process
- Monitor adherence to UNDP’s cost recovery policies and manage cost-recovery related funding sources to include: 1) HQs Central XB Account; 2) HQs Reimbursable Services (RS) Account through monitoring of RS income and expenditure, in coordination with Client Service Teams; and 3) UN Reimbursable Services and Jointly Financed Activities.
- Provide inputs to enhance Atlas, including design of enhanced GMS functionality, monitoring and reporting.
- Enhanced attribution of organizational costs to development projects with emphasis on activities related to DIM and CO support to NIM (direct project costing);
- Further sharpening in the attribution of centrally managed costs through ongoing analyses, pro-forma cost build-ups and management of reserve accounts;
- Sustainable funding of reimbursable services provided by COs (UPL) and by HQs to UN Agencies.
- Resource Management by supporting the Financial Resources Manager, FBM in providing strategic and data inputs
- Manage periodic financial tasks, including the update of pro-forma cost information and UPL costs
- Content Management by ensuring (1) prescriptive content within functional area is continuously updated and available (2) Best Practices are continuously identified, documented and made available to clients and peers and (3) appropriate and up-to-date information and learning tools are available.
- Information Technology Management through leveraging PeopleSoft functionality for improved business results, simplification of transaction and reporting processes.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Knowledge of UNDP Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures.
- Able to assess risks and correctly analyze the likelihood of them occurring. Able to then prioritize action to the risks with the biggest business impact
- Understanding of the working of ERP. Thorough professional and technical knowledge of ATLAS Modules
- Continuously look for ways to enhance financial performance within the region, and reduce errors and wastage
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules
- Strong understanding of regulatory frameworks and instruments
- Strong financial management and accounting skills
- Strong analytical skills and sound judgment;
- Strong IT skills, knowledge of management support software applications.
- Must be able to manage a team of diverse nationalities to respond quickly to areas of concern
- Developing and maintaining strong and productive business relationships with clients in the UN system, UNDP HQ, regional centers and Country Offices
- Ability to persuade country office management to adapt existing approaches and to acknowledge failings within their existing people and/or processes
- Ability to establish and spread best practices amongst the potential users. Ability to identify priority activities and adjusting priorities as required. Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals, thus enabling a client-oriented environment. Ability to effectively manage human and financial resources – results oriented. Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Proven skills and ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, draw conclusions and recommend solutions
- Remains calm whilst working effectively in stressful situations, Shows motivation and pursues continuous personal development and learning. Must be able to work as part of a multi-level team of diverse nationalities to respond quickly to areas of concern. Developing and maintaining strong and productive business relationships with Country Offices, Bureau management and with other clients in the UN system, UNDP HQ etc.
- Proven ability to write in clear and concise manner and to orally communicate effectively;
- Ask questions to clarify situations and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with the Financial Regulations and Rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments.
- Identifies issues in a complex situation, gathers relevant information before making decisions. Able to assess in discussions the capabilities of country level staff and determine where and how improvement needs to take place
- Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on UNDP. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best practices from within and outside of UNDP;
- Provides constructive coaching, feedback and capacity building.
- Focus on the development of the capacities of the staff in the Country Offices in the region.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Business Administration, or Finance/Accounting or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy. Those with professional accounting qualifications from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in integrated resource management with proven expertise in the utilization of related software applications and programmes; Combined Country Office and HQs experience preferred
- Experience of ERP (the Atlas) system.
- Functional and operational knowledge of IFRS or IPSAS will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Fluency in English. Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage, particularly Spanish or French
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.