Project Specialist - Media and Advocacy
Under the direct supervision of Senior Project Officer for Media and Advocacy, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Support effective and efficient management of the social cohesion media and advocacy activities, which entails inter alia:
- Work with media institutions and media professionals to improve conflict sensitive content generation and reportage and strengthen positive social cohesion narratives
- Improve information, awareness and perceptions of Iraqis on peace and social cohesion issues in the country
- Advocacy and communication of the Social Cohesion Programme
- Build on the successful results in the peace education domain and engage with individuals and organizations to develop a common lexicon for reporting as well as explore the development of peace- and conflict-specific training curricula for journalists
- Work with media individuals and institutions to setting-up a communication platform that engages and commits key actors in government and civil society to inform the public about progress on social cohesion,
- The project will leverage on partnerships with national and international organizations with dedicated expertise on social and behavioural change communication and message marketing for social cohesion.
- Work on developing the communication materials of the project, documenting success stories and managing the digital library of all project communication materials including photos, press releases and any other material.
- support public awareness campaigns on key issues that increase the reach of social cohesion stories and results beyond their immediate environments as evidence of local agency and potential for bottom-up social cohesion.
- Support Monitoring, Reporting and Communications which entails inter alia
- Support the timely preparation of monthly, and quarterly progress updates on social cohesion programming
- Support the preparation and update of donor briefs and other documents relating to social cohesion programme
- Support the formulation of the monitoring and evaluation framework and plan that include clear indicators, baseline and to measure progress.
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to the field, and data collection against indicators to ensure results produced by the project are accurately documented.
- Participate in meetings, workshops, seminars, etc., organized by UNDP or partners as required and document key content.
- Technical Assistance and Knowledge Management, which entails inter alia:
- Provide high quality technical input to the design of activities related to media and advocacy to promote social cohesion, including through undertaking and review of context and conflict analyses.
- Ensure synergies with/between UNDP programmes/projects/ other areas of Programming, to ensure strengthening the achievement of integrated results.
- Facilitate knowledge-building and management.
- Ensure that project lessons learned, and best practices are captured, documented and periodically shared with relevant stakeholders.
- Analyse results and lessons learned and recommend strategies for improved delivery of project activity results and outputs.
- Support a regular review of risks that impact upon the social cohesion programme and identify mitigation measures.
- Communication and Partnerships, which entails inter alia:
- Maintain regular communication and coordination with relevant partners, to implement activities in a timely manner.
- Facilitate a good working relationship and collaboration between key government partners and UNDP.
- Support to strengthen partnerships between government entities and civil society organizations, including through improved planning.
- Support to facilitate coordination efforts with other implementing partners providing support for social cohesion in the target locations.
Work with the relevant UNDP Technical and Communications colleagues to develop the required advocacy messages, strategies and materials.Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent Education - Additional Comments:
Advanced higher degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Peace studies, communication, public relations, journalism, advertising or a related area.Required experience: 36 Months Experience remark:
- At least 3 years of professional work experience in public relations, journalism, or advertising; experience in public relations or public awareness campaigns is an asset
- Experience in or familiarity with a humanitarian setting a major asset;
- Proven experience with demonstrated knowledge programming on social cohesion and community reconciliation, in a conflict and/or post-conflict country context;
- Prior experience with the UN system/UNDP would be considered an advantage;
- Knowledge of the context of Iraq and the middle-east.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Fluent
Development programmes, technical assistance and volunteer management.Driving license: No