Public Finance for Children Specialist
Freetown (Sierra Leone)
Contribute to expanding resource base
- Contribute to the development of proposal ideas on PF4C and take a lead in drafting proposals for further input and finalization by the chief of the section.
Child friendly PFM analysis and communication
- Provide technical guidance to Ministries of Education, Finance and Health to develop child friendly budget analysis to influence budget processes.
- Establish systems to engender ownership of this process in the respective ministries. Engage with the key sectoral budget processes to ensure that priority children’s issues are incorporated.
- Help sections to develop ToRs and manage processes for the development of public finance management activities like sectoral expenditure analysis, Public Expenditure Review and Public Expenditure Management and Financial Accountability Reviews (PEMFARs).
- In collaboration with ERA colleagues establish an appropriate communication mechanism for sectoral budgets analyzed, to the public, policy makers and legislature.
- Prepare child friendly expenditure analysis for Education and health sectors from 2015 – 2018
- Engage in the Open Budget Initiative to ensure children’s views are reflected.
National and Local Capacity Building/Sustainability
- Provide government authorities with technical supports and guidance to plan and organize training on PF4C for local council decentralized structures and national MDAs.
- Develop a road map to support decentralized council structures to implementation of PF4C in the next country programme.
Advanced higher degree (master’s or equivalent) in a relevant area, e.g. economics, social policy, international development or area related to PFM, a first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.Required experience: 60 Months Experience remark:
At least 5 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in public finance management, budget analysis or in macroeconomic simulation and analysis or other relevant programmes; experience with the use of statistical software is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Desirable: valid national driver’s license and proven ability to drive manual gear 4x4 over rough terrain; (if not applicable, delete)
- Sound security awareness;
Have affinity with or interest in increased fiscal space for UNICEF work on education, health, WASH and social protection in Sierra Leone, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.Language skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
At least 5 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in public finance management, budget analysis or in macroeconomic simulation and analysis or other relevant programmes; experience with the use of statistical software is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization.Competencies values:
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams