Site Management Support (SMS) Officer
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 8,000 employees and also 8,000 volunteers, while managing a turnover of over 400 million Euro. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization. The Danish Refugee Council is Denmark’s largest humanitarian NGO and has been ranked the 3rd best NGO in the world in 2018 (for the six consecutive years, the organization is among the top five of the NGO Advisor Annual List).
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work in the sites of Northern Greece as Site Management Support (SMS) Officer. Under the supervision of the SMS Team Leader,
the SMS Officer has responsibility for supporting the development and implementation of all DRC activities in the emergency reception sites in DRC’s area of responsibility, and providing liaison with local authorities and other humanitarian actors to ensure a meaningful and coordinated intervention. The SMS Officer will ensure a high quality, integrated approach to site management support, including oversight of site operations, shelter interventions, NFI and food distributions, community mobilization and general protection activities.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
The main responsibilities include:
• Support coordination efforts and monitoring of activities and services provision on the emergency reception sites in DRC’s AoR, to avoid duplication and identify gaps
• Proactively refer any identified gaps to relevant forums and support advocacy to relevant authorities or humanitarian actors for additional support
• Develop and maintain extensive contacts with the local authorities as well as good working relations with other humanitarian actors
• Contribute to maintaining and strengthening synergies between DRC staff/volunteers and activities in different areas of intervention
• Contribute to ensuring adequate staffing is in place for the efficient implementation of DRC’s activities;
• Promote a participatory approach to site management and service provision in the sites
• Support smooth functioning in the production and dissemination of various communications tools for the persons of concern, based on agreed key messages
• As necessary, oversee the work of project contractors, including translators, script writers, graphic artists or other contributors to guarantee quality and accuracy of communication materials produced and disseminated
• Continuously advocate for increased communications with persons of concern throughout DRC units, duty bearers and other humanitarian actors
• Support in organizing and coordinating needs assessments as required
• Contribute to program standardization and sharing of experiences, lessons learned, and good practices to inform future interventions
• Coordinate data collection and support drafting relevant SMS information products, e.g. site reports/profiles, 4Ws, briefing notes
• Represent DRC in coordination meetings when necessary
• Ensure that activities/projects are implemented in accordance with agreed strategies, principles, implementation plans, and donor requirements
• Provide inputs for internal and donor reporting, as necessary; ensure the use of qualitative and quantitative indicators and prepare accurate and timely reports on project progress
• Ensure the communication with the community regarding DRC’s activities is culturally appropriate and inclusive
• Organise and supervise recreational activities for the community which promote integration and empowerment
• Implement awareness raising and behavioural change activities and support the development of relevant messaging in coordination with other DRC teams
• Undertake outreach activities and info sessions on DRC services to target groups and record feedback
• On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the line manager to allow the DRC North programme to function optimally;
• University degree in one of “Political science”, “International Relations”, “Social sciences”, “Business/Administration”, or any other related field;
• A master degree in a relevant field will also be considered as asset.
• Excellent verbal and written Greek skills, Very good working knowledge of English
• Previous working experience in relevant field will be considered as a strong asset (especially previous working experience with local or international NGOs); Knowledge of the local context in Greece about the refugees affairs is a clear asset too;
• Strong computer skills
• Driving license would be an advantage
5.Required Skills & Qualities
• Core Competencies of DRC:
o Striving for excellence
o Taking the lead
o Demonstrating Integrity
• Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
• Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed
• Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
• Ability to work at field level on daily basis, to adjust and interact with a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, and dynamic working environment; Having also the willingness to perform other tasks and to support the team
• Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
• Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
• Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines ,and a good sense of humor
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
6.Terms & Conditions
• The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
• All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
• DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
• The position will be based in the broader area of Thessaloniki (Northern Greece) and national terms and conditions apply
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 11th of December 2019. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.