To Conduct A Technical Assessment Report for Local Market of Air Conditioners
Background and Project Description
The main objective of the project is to transform Sudan’s markets for energy efficient (EE) lighting and air-conditioners providing climate change mitigation benefits and decreased energy poverty. The baseline activities fall short of comprehensively addressing the challenges of radically transforming Sudan’s markets for energy efficient (EE) lighting and air-conditioners. The alternative project strategy consists of a top-down component integrated with several bottom-up activities including mainstreaming gender into project activities. The top-down component comprises the development of standards, enforcement of regulations supporting energy efficient products, and building the institutional framework capable of maintaining steady market development. Bottom-up activities target the creation of positive ambience for the implementation of the new regulations on the levels of distributors and end users.
The “Leapfrogging Sudan’s markets to more efficient lighting and air conditioners” project seeks to facilitate the rapid transformation of the Sudanese market to energy efficient Air Conditioners technologies, thereby reducing electrical demand and consumption and related greenhouse gases (GHG) emissions.
The main purpose of the project is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through:
(i) The promotion of high-quality Air Conditioners and (ii) The progressive phasing-out of inefficient Air Conditioners in Sudan.
To achieve the overall goal, the Project comprises five components:
(i) Development of a national strategy to advance energy efficiency in lighting and air conditioners as part of the National Energy Efficiency Action plan (NEEAP); (ii) Adoption of regulatory mechanisms directing the market towards energy efficient lighting products and air conditioners, including minimum energy performance standards (MEPS), labeling scheme, testing and importing procedure; (iii) Adoption of monitoring, verification, and enforcement (MVE) system, to ensure that products in the market comply with the established MEPS; (iv) Awareness-building of the new MEPS and regulatory mechanism; and (v) Enhancing environmentally sound management of lighting products and air conditioners.
An expert is required to conduct a study on the supply and demand for the local market of Air Conditioners products and to develop a strategy of development of the low consumption Air Conditioners market in Sudan (benefits analysis included).
Duties and Responsibilities
An expert is required to conduct a Market Assessment study in Sudan in the framework of the “Leapfrogging Sudan’s markets to more efficient lighting and air conditioners” and frame it as a start-of- project market study.
Scope of Works
A Consultant on energy efficiency of Air Conditioners is required in order to prepare a market assessment and future market development strategy for the “Leapfrogging Sudan’s markets to more efficient lighting and air conditioners” project.
The Consultant will provide:
- Analysis of the informal market of Air Conditioners, with an estimate of its weight / influence / impact on the formal market (within the limits of what is feasible for this type of analysis);
- Design of a market research program to highlight the state of supply and demand of various energy-saving Air Conditioners;
- Empirical analysis of the number of Air Conditioners imported and locally manufactured in Sudan categorized by manufacturer, capacity, and technology (window, split, etc.), the quality of imported products and Importer / distributor (Top 20 Importers / Distributors) over the last three (3) years;
- Empirical analysis of the number of Air Conditioners consumed (sold) categorized by technology, manufacturer and capacity in the residential, commercial, and governmental sectors (both urban and rural) over the last three (3) years;
- Number of energy efficient Air Conditioners in the market (categorized by technology, manufacturer and capacity);
- Empirical analysis of the results obtained on imports, local industry, and sales and projection of imports, local industry and future sales over the next five (5) and ten (10) years;
- Electricity consumption in Air Conditioners;
- GHG emissions resulting from Air Conditioners in the residential, commercial and governmental sectors
- Presentation of the methodology used the detailed execution of the mission schedule and a draft of the requested studies during the Inception workshop to launch the project.
- Presentation of the results of the study through a consultative workshop to validate the report.
The Consultant will identify and consult with all relevant stakeholders to collect data and will liaise with the Ministry of Energy and Mining and more specifically with the Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA) to facilitate national discussions.
The Consultant will develop specific activities related to the project’s outcomes as follows:
- An orientation note that defines the methodology used, the detailed execution of the mission schedule and a draft of the requested studies;
- A comprehensive report on the market study of Air Conditioners. This report should include an explanation in detail of the methodology of the market study used, the empirical analysis on sales and imports of Air Conditioners (categorized by technology, manufacturer and capacity) over the past three years; as well as a projection of the supply and demand of efficient Air Conditioners in the next five (5) and ten (10) years;
- A strategy of development of the low consumption Air Conditioners market in Sudan. This strategy should include an assessment of the economic and financial benefits of efficient Air Conditioners for consumers, Government, importers, distributors, and potential manufacturers; financial and management mechanisms to facilitate the market transformation.
- A presentation of the overall study for the Inception workshop.
Ultimate result of services
- A supply and demand study of the local market of Air Conditioners with specific analysis on the import/export of Air Conditioners over the last three years.
- The study should contain the results of the analysis considering the fulfillment of the specific objectives.
Performance indicators will be:
- The effectiveness and management of the work
- Quality, reliability and pertinence of gathered information
- Pertinence of recommendations
- Quality of reports and documents produced
- Usefulness and quality of the information and technical recommendations provided
Speediness and quality of emails and communications with the project and UNDP staff and project partners.
Notes on deliverables:
- The reports will be reviewed, and the notes and corrections sent to the Consultant for their respective application. In the cases where review or recommendations are made, the Consultant must make the necessary changes and adjustments to the documents.
- The Consultant will identify and consult with all relevant stakeholders to collect data and will liaise with the Ministry of Energy and Mining to facilitate national discussions.
- All written outputs will be delivered electronically in MS Office documents.
The consultant will have direct contact with the team leader of Sustainable Livelihood Unit, UNDP Sudan and the Project Manager. A national consultant will be recruited by UNDP, to provide remote support to the international Consultant, avail the required data and reports, and, hold a planning workshop. The national consultant will help the International Consultant to prepare and finalize the report.
Duration of the Work
The total duration of this consultancy will be 90 working days, spread over by the end of June 2020, from 1 January 2020 through to 30 June 2020. However, the initial submission of the document should be at or before 10th of January 2020 to allow for addressing any additional comments by stakeholders. The final submission of the deliverables is 30 June 2020.
This home-based assignment with 3 visits (5 days each) to Sudan for conducting a an inception workshop at start up and consultation workshop to present findings of the study report with key stakeholders and facilitating an inception workshop for the market study report and the development strategy of the low consumption Air Conditioners market.
Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments
The consultancy fee will be determined on a lump sum basis. The lump sum amount must be all-inclusive and the contract price must be fixed regardless of changes in the cost components. Payment will be made upon completion of key deliverables as outlined in section D above.
Recommended Presentation of Offer
Applicants are kindly requested to complete and sign and submit all the following documents:
- Duly completed Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP;
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references;
- Brief description of why the individual/company considers him/herself/itself as the most suitable for the assignment, and a methodology on how they will approach and complete the assignment.
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template provided.
Evaluation Criteria and selection of the consultant
An advanced university degree(s) in relevant disciplines, such as engineering, economics or an energy-related field; over 10 years’ active involvement and hands on knowledge in the area of energy efficiency.
Technical Evaluation Gird:
The offers received from the candidates will be evaluated using combined scoring method. The combined scoring method assesses the offers with technical merits of the proposals – where the qualifications and methodology will be weighted a maximum of 70%, and later combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%.
The price proposals of candidates obtaining 49 points and above (or 70% and above) will only be technically qualified; then their price proposals will be reviewed and compared for the assessment of overall ranking of the proposals. Those obtaining lower than 49 points (or lesser than 70%) will be technically non-responsive proposals; price proposals of such candidate will not be compared.
Assessment of the Price Proposals (30 Points) or 30%
The lowest priced bid from among the technically qualified Offerors will obtain the full marks of 30 points in the price proposal. Price proposals of remaining qualified bidders will be prorated against the lowest priced bid using the following formula to derive the marks in their price proposal:
Marks obtained by a Bidder = Lowest Priced Bid (amount) / Bid of the Offeror (amount) X 30 (Full Marks)
Award of the Contract/Award Criteria:
The contract will be awarded to the candidate (bidder) whose proposal obtains the highest cumulative marks (points) when the marks obtained in technical and price proposals are aggregated together.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Ability to work with a multi-cultural and diverse team.
- Demonstrated experience in project design
- Demonstrated experience in technical issues related to air conditioners market assessment
- Ability to analyze large amounts of complex and diversified data related to air conditioners markets in least developed countries.
- Demonstrated strong coordination and facilitation skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to initiate discussions about climate change adaptation and reliance issues specifically in the impacts of the air conditionings on environment.
Required Skills and Experience
The expert shall have outstanding knowledge and expertise with the concepts of energy efficient Air Conditioning systems and commercial products, and more broadly with policy, finance and environmental issues related to Air Conditioners use:
Minimum Level of Education Required:
- An advanced university degree(s) in relevant disciplines, such as engineering, economics or an energy- related field.
Work Experience and Expertise:
- Over 10 years’ active involvement and hands on knowledge in the area of energy efficiency.
- Good knowledge of market research methodologies and the specificities of the Air Conditioners market;
- Knowledge of key players in the energy sector and especially in the Air Conditioning sector;
- Excellent skills in data assessment in the field of energy efficient Air Conditioners and excellent analytical skills to derive appropriate strategies;
- Availability and commitment to perform the tasks;
- Effective research and drafting skills with a focus on efficient energy matters;
- Fluent in English (both spoken and written).
for more informations, TOR and Offerors Letter Links below:-