Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - BSSC
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS’ mission is to expand the capacity of the United Nations system and its partners to implement peace building, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need.As part of the Shared Services Centre (SSC), the Payroll Assistant will be assigned to the Bangkok Shared Service Centre (BSSC), and shall support all administrative and financial tasks related to the implementation of existing or new human resource services projects. Under the overall supervision of a Manager of Bangkok Shared Service Centre (BSSC) and the day-to-day guidance of a Team Leader, the Payroll Assistant supports the provision of financial services in the BSSC and ensures high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Payroll Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations. The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS. UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
1. Ensure timely and accurately administration of payroll, banking and disbursement services to UN Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) holder, hereinafter ICA holder, which includes following responsibilities:
• Process payments related to salaries in UNOPS ERP System
• Check that payment to ICA holder is in compliance with supplier profile and the terms and conditions of the ICA awards
• Verify, confirm and post salaries transaction in UNOPS ERP System
• Ensure that documents and supporting files are accurate, complete and properly filed for future reference and audit purpose
• Perform payroll-related account reconcilitaion on montly basis to ensure correct charges
• Prepare GL journal entries related to ICA payroll to ensure financial accountability within the Financial Rules and Regulations of UNOPS
2. Support in team management, facilitate the knowledge building and knowledge sharing, which includes following responsibilities:
• Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure quality administration of payroll
• Support in producing various payroll reports and queries to Headquaters and Local Focal Points for reconciliation, auditing and budget allocations purpose when requested
• Interact with colleagues to exchange information on administrative and payroll issues
• Resolve routine administrative problems and refer complex issues to Team Leader with recommendations for course of action
• Notify and alert Team Leader on the issues to be followed up and resolved
• Provide technical advice, mentoring and/or organize training to colleagues on matters related to administrative, accounting and payroll
• Initiate team planning, objectives setting and contribute to team development
3. Contribute to payroll systems development, testing and maintenance
• Perform testing for the accuracy of the implementation and/or system enhancement
• Perform other related duties as required
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Knowledge Management and Learning
· Shares knowledge and experience
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
· Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks and duties related to payroll, accounting, collecting and preparation of documentation, data input, transactions tracking, filing, provision of information
· Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
· Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
· Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
· Knowledge of UNOPS Financial and HR rules and procedures
· Strong IT skills
Leadership and Self-Management
· Ability to adhere to work assignments and meet designated deadlines.
· Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
· Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
· Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior
Education: Secondary education is required. Additional training in administrative and business practices an asset. BA degree is desirable but not required.
Experience: 2-3 years experiences in similar job in the field of operations, finance, or other related field.
Good computer skills, including MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management.
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and oral English required. Knowledge of second UN working language is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 4
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.