Programme Specialist (Education)
Post Number : 6NGED0003RP
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Abuja
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 18-DEC-2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education, the authority of the Director of Abuja Office, UNESCO’s Multi-Sectoral Regional Office for West Africa, and the immediate supervision of the Senior Education Programme Specialist, the incumbent will:
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
• Coordinate the education programmes and projects planning, development, implementation, operation and follow-up.
• Provide intellectual, strategic and operational assistance with pertinent and timely responses to demands for UNESCO services and inputs in a coordinated and complementary manner.
• Advice the Office on the most appropriate way to integrate regional, sub regional and countries concerns in UNESCO’s education strategies, policies, programmes and projects, recognizing also the crucial role that National Commissions play in advising UNESCO field offices on national priorities related to education.
• Facilitate consultations with line ministries, mobilize national expertise, and advocate to national and regional authorities the Organization’s norms, standards and priorities.
• Prepare extra budgetary proposals in Education for additional resources for the Office and Sub-region.
• Follow-up budget and financial situation, reporting status and raising potential issues with managers.
• Identify prospective donors and actively participate in such meetings.
• Advanced University degree (equivalent to Masters level) in Education, Social Sciences or other related fields.
• A minimum of 4 years of professional experience in the field of education, of which preferably 2 years in international level.
• Proven experience in developing, operating and monitoring Education programmes.
Skills and competencies
• Excellent coordinating, organizating and planning skills.
• Building effective partnerships between teams and stakeholders, inside and outside the organization.
• Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, orally and in writing, with ability to draft clear and concise reports/documents
• Ability to work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in multi-cultural environment.
• Demonstrated Fund-raising and resource mobilization skills
• Excellent knowledge of French and working knowledge of English.
• Experience in implementing programme and projects at least in one of the following domains will be an asset: Literacy and Non-Formal Education (NFE), gender, Early Childhood Development (ECD).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
• Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
• Working knowledge of Portuguese will be an asset.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.