Programme Specialist (Education)
Post Number : 6KEED0007RP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Nairobi
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 12-DEC-2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), and the direct supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Multi-sectoral Office in Nairobi, the incumbent will be responsible for the development, planning and implementation of the organisation's education programme in the countries covered by the UNESCO Nairobi office (Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, and Uganda) as well as, the three national offices (Ethiopia, South Sudan and Tanzania).
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Promote UNESCO’s vision both internally and externally in the Region; participate in identifying strategic issues, opportunities and risks, to effectively integrate them into organizational objectives.
- Provide leadership in inter-generational learning for social inclusion focusing experience on adult learning and literacy; early childhood; girls’ education; entrepreneurship and innovative technologies.
- Provide leadership in policy issues, on learning assessment and teacher performance, through the popularization of ICT and digitalization.
- Collaborate with others to effectively implement and monitor the strategies of the Multi-sectoral Office, and revise these as circumstances require.
- Conceptualise, design, develop and implement activities that will improve access and quality of education across the sub-region with particular attention to basic education.
- Design and coordinate the implementation of capacity development programmes and provide technical contribution to regional and sub-regional organisations, as well as technical backstopping to national offices.
- Develop joint programmes with other UN agencies and ensure UNESCO’s participation in UN country team (UNCT), UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) and the delivering as one programme in the member countries.
- Develop Regional partnerships to mobilize additional programmes and resources.
- Advanced University degree (Master's or equivalent) in Education, Economics, Social Sciences or related fields.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in one or several areas of education, of which at least 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Experience in planning, development, implementation, management and evaluation of educational programmes/projects.
- Experience in fund raising and resource mobilization.
Skills and competencies
- Analytical skills, ability to collect, synthesise and analyse information from various sources.
- Proven ability to identify emerging educational trends and needs.
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically, and to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Ability to coordinate, negotiate and deal with partners and networks in private and public sectors.
- Proven ability to prepare, present and discuss findings and recommendations on issues clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated skills in results-based planning, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and good knowledge of French.
- Academic background in the field of inter-generational learning focusing experience in adult learning and literacy, early childhood development, girls’ education, entrepreneurship and innovative technologies.
- Professional experience in the field context, preferably in Africa.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.