Programme Specialist (Education)
Post Number : 4AFED0003RP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Kabul
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 12-DEC-2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED) and the direct supervision of the Director of UNESCO Kabul Office, the Education Specialist will support the Ministry of Education (MoE) and the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) in Afghanistan, with a special focus on technical support and capacity building in policy development, education planning and management, and programme implementation to achieve education related goals set in the National Education Strategic Plan (NESP), Afghan National Peace and Development Framework (ANPDF), Afghanistan Sustainable Development Goals (A-SDGs) particularly in curriculum reform, youth and adult literacy, and TVET, in line with the vision and mission of the UNESCO Kabul Office. In this context, the incumbent will be expected to perform the following tasks:
Programme design, management and assessment
- Manage the large education portfolio and seek opportunities for fundraising by maintaining relations with present and future donors. Provide sound technical backstopping and advice in the field of education to colleagues, in developing policies, approaches, programmes and projects;
- Develop strategic partnership with government, donors, civil society and participate actively in the One UN Thematic Group on Education;
- Represent UNESCO in UN Country Team( (UNCT), UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and the Delivering As One framework;
- Provide technical support and expert advice to related Government Ministries and other key development stakeholders, including National Commission, in order to support policy formulation, strategizing, planning and project implementation and the strengthening of national institutions integral to capacity building in education;
- Plan, coordinate and implement significant aspects of the work programme, ensuring a comprehensive sector-wide approach for the strengthening and development of the education system in Afghanistan and its alignment with the Education agenda. Contribute both in terms of substantive aspects, as well as the promotion of cross cutting values (peace, learning to live together, life-long learning opportunities, gender equality), as a reflection of the priorities of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4.
- Initiate policy development and advocate for and lead inter-sectoral collaboration as well as quality assurance exercise.
Networking, Communication, Knowledge Management and Partnerships
- Plan, develop and implement outreach strategies, aimed at expanding and communicating programmes and increase UNESCO’s visibility, resources and partnerships.
- Support UNESCO’s overall resource mobilization strategies, by preparing project proposals and cooperation framework with Member States and donor agencies and by engaging in fundraising activities.
Project, Activities and Team Member Management, Assessment and evaluation
- Carry out project management, including backstopping, technical, and financial and human resources management. Coordinate and supervise of the office’s education team, identifying human and technical resource needs, recruitment and performance management.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Education, Economics, Social Sciences or in related fields.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in one or several subject areas of education, of which at least 3 year acquired at international level.
- Experience in providing policy advice in education.
- Experience in planning, development, implementation, management and evaluation of educational programmes/projects.
- Experience in fundraising and resource mobilization.
Skills and competencies
- Excellent understanding of the work in a conflict/post conflict context.
- Analytical skills and ability to collect, synthesize and analyze information from various sources.
- Proven ability to identify emerging educational trends and needs.
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically, and to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Ability to coordinate, negotiate and deal with partners and networks in private and public sectors.
- Proven ability to prepare, present and discuss findings and recommendations clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated skills in results-based planning, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
Experience in a conflict/post conflict context.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.