Programme Specialist (Education)
Post Number : 3HTED0004RP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Port-au-Prince
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 08-DEC-2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED) and the direct supervision of the Head of the UNESCO Port-au-Prince Office, the incumbent of the post will lead the overall strategic direction for the Education Programme through policy development and the coordination and implementation of all related activities and projects in line with the established priorities. S/he will be expected to support and contribute to the efforts to assist the Member State in its implementation of the Education Sector Strategy, including the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Goal 4 – Quality Education (SDG 4), and to contribute to enhancing UNESCO leadership in the Education Sector within the frameworks of the Programme Working Group of the UN Country Team, the Education Sector Working Group (Groupe Sectoriel Education) composed of Technical and Financial Partners of the Sector and the UN Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF). The Programme Specialist will be expected to perform the following responsibilities:
Programme Design, Management and Assessment
- Design, budget for impact, coordinate, monitor, assess, report and extract learned-lessons for the implementation of activities, projects and programmes under the Education Programme; the Education strategy of the Office including education planning, management, policy development and gender-equity UNESCO overarching priority whilst ensuring their consistency with the national priorities of the Government of Haiti on formal and non-formal basic, vocational and higher education, research, statistical data gathering and key education frameworks such as the Haiti UNCT Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF) and the interagency initiatives having a focus on Education and in consonance with UNESCO Regional Education Strategy in conjunction with the UNESCO Santiago Office and Regional Bureau for Education in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC).
- Actively participate in the Office cross-cutting activities and projects, be it intersectorial, with other FU and/or at the UNCT level and perform other duties and responsibilities, per the direction of the Head of the Office.
- Conceptualize, provide consultative support and execute high-quality technical assistance and capacity development projects in strategic areas of UNESCO’s mandate, be actively involved in the Education Sector Working Group (UNCT, BINUH and donors), as well as provide intellectual and strategic advice on the preparation of country level co-operation plans and the alignment of the education initiatives of Haiti with the tenets of the SDGs, predominantly SDG 4, and the overall framework of the Programme and human rights approaches.
Networking, Communication, Knowledge Management and Partnerships
- Participate in joint UN programming and coordination activities related to education and pursue and maintain strategic partnerships to promote the technical contribution of UNESCO to the strategic UN Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF) and actively participate in UN Country Team and HCT working groups to advance programmatic work and visibility for the Organization.
- Mobilize resources to support the Education strategy and the advancement of the national education system in Haiti, through the preparation of project proposals (draft and budget), cooperation frameworks, and diligent negotiation with donors or international cooperation agencies and other technical partners in Haiti, the LAC and/or Africa Regions.
Project, Activities and Team Member Management and Assessment and Evaluation
- Ensure the implementation of results based management for the efficient and timely execution of budgetary resources allocated to the Education portfolio of the Haiti Office, as well as, lead and provide technical backstopping to Education staff and supervision to other contracted personnel and temporary assistance engaged in the delivery and evaluation of Programme outputs. Act as Focal Point for evaluation.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Education, Economics, Social Sciences or related fields.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in the field of educational policy and education planning and management, of which preferably at least 3 years acquired at international level.
- Experience in planning, development, implementation, management and evaluation of educational programmes/projects.
- Proven experience in fund raising and resource mobilization.
Skills and competencies
- Analytical skills and ability to collect, synthesize and analyze information from various sources.
- Proven ability to identify emerging educational trends and needs.
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically, and to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Ability to coordinate, negotiate and deal with partners and networks in private and public sectors.
- Proven ability to prepare, present and discuss findings and recommendations clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated skills in results-based planning, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of French and very good knowledge of English.
- Advanced university degree (Ph.D. or equivalent).
- Solid working experience with government authorities at different levels and with coordination mechanisms.
- Work experience in Post Conflict/Post Disaster (PCPD) situations in education.
Skills and competencies
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations System.
- Understanding of the educational challenges in developing/emerging countries and/or in Haiti.
- Knowledge of the SDG 4, including regional frameworks as well as country level follow up Action Plan requirements, including UNESCO Institute of Statistics (UIS)-led monitoring and evaluation arrangements.
- Good knowledge of Spanish.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.