Head of Office and UNESCO Representative to Mali
Post Number : 6MLPAX0001RP
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Priority Africa and External Relations Sector (PAX)
Duty Station: Bamako
Job Family: Field Operations Coordination
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 08-DEC-2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Priority Africa and External Relations (ADG/PAX) and the direct supervision of the Director of the Multisectoral Regional Office for West Africa (Sahel) in Dakar (Senegal), the Head of the UNESCO Office in Bamako will manage, in collaboration with the Multisectoral Regional Office for West Africa (Sahel), the multidisciplinary programme of this National Office and provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership in planning and implementing activities, responding to the priority needs of the Republic of Mali in all UNESCO's fields of competence (education, the sciences, culture and communication and information).
This also will include the effective and efficient management of the Office’s human resources, administration and operations, in line with the Organization’s policies and procedures, including the application of effective internal controls.
Moreover, the incumbent also will participate, or ensure the participation of the Office, in all meetings and activities of the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in the Republic of Mali.COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Building partnerships (M) Driving and managing change (M) Leading and empowering others (M) Making quality decisions (M) Managing performance (M) Strategic thinking (M) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in a discipline related to UNESCO’s mandate, Public or Business Administration or International Relations.
- At least ten (10) years of progressive professional experience at the appropriate management level within the United Nations system or within other international or national institutions, including a wide experience in development issues related to UNESCO’s areas of competence, in association with national and international organizations.
- Experience in advocacy, resources and partnership mobilization.
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction and priorities.
- Institutional leadership capacity, high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
- Proven skills in administration and the management of financial and human resources.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to administer extensive programmes and financial resources, as well as to exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Organizational skills, including in establishing plans and priorities, and in implementing them effectively, as well as in devising implementation plans.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners, and demonstrated partnership development and fundraising experience.
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff, as well as ability to build trust, manage, lead and motivate a large and diversified body of staff in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, as well as exercise supervision and control and ensure continuous training and development of staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing, in front of a broad range of constituents, as well as the news media.
- Excellent knowledge and drafting skills in French and good knowledge of English.
- Courses/degree in a management-related field.
- Experience in conducting policy dialogue at government and non-government levels or public and private sectors.
- Two (2) to five (5) years’ experience in post conflict/post-disaster situations.
- Broad general culture, good geopolitical knowledge of the region and sound analytic capacities.
- Proven leadership and demonstrated managerial skills combined with flexibility.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to take initiative and maintain effective working relationships with partners of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Good knowledge of the United Nations system.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.