Strategic Planning Expert for design of a Manual and a Training of Trainers Program for Preparation of Strategic Documents in FBiH, including its delivery
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
PurposeThe purpose of this consultancy is to contribute to strengthening of the development planning and management system in the entity of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH) through enhancing capacities for sustainable development planning at all governments levels in FBiH and taking into account the requirement to mainstream Agenda 2030 and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in future planning processes.
ObjectiveThe objective of this constancy is to contribute to capacity development of strategic planners across governments in FBIH through design of a universal manual (hereinafter: the Manual) to cover all steps of planning process. Moreover, following the preparation of the Manual, the consultancy seeks to design and deliver a corresponding training of trainers (ToT) program that is to be sustained with relevant institutional partners and be available for further replication. For this purpose, one (1) local consultant will be engaged (hereinafter: the Consultant).
Background InformationThe consultancy will take place within the third phase of the Integrated Local Development Project (ILDP), a joint project of the Government of Switzerland and UNDP. For nearly 10 years, the Project has been working in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) to systematise strategic planning and development management at sub-national levels in the country. Since its launch in 2008, the ILDP has been progressively growing, both in terms of scope of work, as well as conceptual approaches applied to advance strategic planning in the BiH.In addition to harmonising local development planning in the country, the ILDP paved the way for the newly adopted and emerging development planning and management regulatory frameworks in both entities. As one of the flagship achievements, the project supported the participatory development of the Law on Development Planning and Management in the FBiH entity, which was adopted in 2017, setting the legal grounds for the development planning and management system in this entity.One of the main requirements of the new Law is related to the design of an overarching development strategy for the FBiH for the 2021-2027 programming cycle. From the perspective of the vertical harmonisation of the strategic documents in FBiH, the FBiH development strategy is a main platform and reference point for cantonal and local governments’ development strategies that are to be designed for the same programming cycle. In order to equip all government levels in FBiH with the “know-how” for effective application of the FBiH Law on Development Planning and Management and related by-laws in the forthcoming planning processes in FBiH, the ILDP will support the institutional partners in FBiH with designing a manual that should assist planners at all governments levels in preparing their development strategies in line with the new regulatory framework and Agenda 2030. Following design of the manual, a ToT program will be designed and delivered so as to create knowledge among local service providers and practitioners as one of the key prerequisites for further sustainability of the training program. Upon design and delivery of the ToT, the training program will be handed over to the FBiH Civil Service Agency for institutional replication of the training program to development practitioners/civil servants at all government levels in FBiH.For the preparation of the Manual and the ToT program, ILDP will engage two experts. The first Consultant engaged under this ToR will be responsible for conceptualisation and drafting of the Manual and the ToT program. The second Consultant that will be engaged under a separate ToR will be responsible for review and selection of practical examples, templates and tools, including their adjustments to the level that can be used in the Manual/ToT programme. Furthermore, for all envisaged products by this ToR, the second Consultant will provide a peer-to-peer review and provide feedback with elaboration of new inputs or changes proposed. For the pilot delivery of the ToT program, both consultants will be engaged as trainers.
Duties and Responsibilities
NOTE: Signed Offeror’s Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability - http://www.ba.undp.org/content/dam/bosnia_and_herzegovina/docs/Operations/Jobs/Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability.docx - to be sent to e-mail email@example.com with Subject: Job ID 88967.
The Consultant is expected to design a comprehensive and a tailored Manual and ToT Program on preparation of strategic documents in the FBiH, including a ToT pilot delivery to selected development practitioners and consultants.More specifically, the Consultant will be expected to perform the following tasks:Task 1 – Design of Manual for Preparation of Strategic Documents in FBiHPrior to initiating this task, the Consultant will undertake several preparatory steps.Firstly, the Consultant is to familiarise him/herself with the newly established development planning and management system in FBiH, including its regulatory and institutional frameworks defined in the FBiH Law on Development Planning and Management and corresponding by-laws. The Consultant will particularly focus on the FBiH Government Decree on Design of Strategic Documents in FBiH, from the perspective of methodological and organisational approach, key elements, milestone and timelines. Secondly, considering that there is currently ongoing process of the preparation of the FBiH Development Strategy 2021-2027, the Consultant will review the currently used tools (preparatory decisions, guidelines, templates, etc.) in order to identify suitable inputs for the Manual. The initial inputs for the preparatory work will be provided by the ILDP, including a proposal of main elements of the Manual that has been designed earlier and that will serve as a starting point for further elaboration of the manual.Based on the initial preparatory work, the Consultant will develop a brief conceptual outline for the Manual preparation, in line with entry parameters stipulated below, that will be submitted to ILDP for validation.Conceptual entry parameters for the ManualThe Manual will provide a “know-how” for future planning processes in the FBiH. The primary target group of the Manual are development practitioners from all government levels in FBiH, meaning FBiH and cantonal institutions and local governments. The secondary target group of the Manual are all other participants involved in the participatory strategic planning processes. Considering different target groups that will use the Manual, it should be prepared in a user-friendly and easily understandable manner, with minimal use of the complex technical language. The “know-how” provided within the Manual would follow the key phases of the preparation of strategic documents in FBiH (as prescribed by the aforementioned By-Law), and will be enriched with practical examples, tools and templates. As such, the Manual will be structured in the following manner:Title: Manual for Preparation of Strategic Documents in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Introduction1. Purpose of the Manual in the Context of Sustainable Development
- Purpose and methodological scope of the Manual
- Theoretical and practical aspects of sustainable development and Agenda 2030
- Regulatory framework for sustainable development in FBiH
2. Key principles for preparation of strategic documents in FBiH3. Administrative and technical preparations for the launch of the planning process
- Administrative preparatory activities
- Establishing key planning bodies and orientation
- Preparing guidelines and workplan for the process
- Identifying and mobilising stakeholders and establishing partnership structures
4. Phases in preparing strategic documents4.1. First phase: Strategic platform
- Purpose, importance and elements of strategic platform
- Organisation of the strategic platform preparation process
4.1.1. Preparing situation analysis4.1.2. Defining development vision4.1.3. Defining strategic goals and setting indicators4.1.4. Conducting strategic platform consultation process4.2. Second phase: Defining priorities and measures4.3. Third phase: Identifying strategic projects4.4. Fourth phase: Conducting vertical and horizontal coherence check of the strategic document4.5. Fifth phase: Preparing indicative financial framework of the strategic document4.6. Sixth phase: Defining frameworks for the implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the strategic document4.7. Seventh phase: Adopting strategic document3.5. Annexes (references to relevant regulatory framework, practical examples, templates and tools)Based on the conceptual outline validated by the ILDP, the Consultant will prepare a draft Manual. References to regulatory framework, practical examples, templates and tools provided in the annexes will be connected to the relevant chapters of the Manual through hyperlinks so as to allow their views as well as practical use within the respective Manual chapter. The maximum number of pages of the Manual shall not exceed 45 pages (not including annexes). As such, the Manual will be tailored to be applicable to all governance levels in FBiH. The content of the Manual can be enriched and deepened by the Consultant.Drafting of the Manual will be organised in the two steps. Firstly, based on the conceptual outline, the Consultant will prepare the content of the Manual and the first six chapters, which will be shared with the ILDP for review and feedback. After validation of the first input by the ILDP, the Consultant will submit the consolidated draft Manual with the remaining chapters for final validation by the ILDP.During the preparation of the Manual, the Consultant will closely cooperate with the second engaged expert, whose task will be to provide specific inputs (practical examples, templates, tools) and peer to peer review with concrete proposals for improvement of the draft Manual, if required.The final draft of the Manual will be submitted to ILDP for approval.Task 1 is expected to be completed by mid of January 2020 with estimated level of effort of 20 days.
Task 2 – Design of ToT Program for Preparation of Strategic Documents in FBiHWithin this task the service provider is expected to design a tailored ToT program, based on the outputs prepared under Task 1 and considering the aspects elaborated below.ToT programme conceptual entry parametersThe purpose of the ToT program is to equip a critical number of development practitioners/consultants from BiH (e.g from government development units, regional and local development agencies, consulting firms, specialised NGOs, individual consultants, etc.) with “know-how” required for successful preparation of the strategic documents in FBiH. The ToT program will last two (2) consecutive days and will be designed on the basis of the Manual designed under Task 1. As such, the ToT program will consist of three major training parts:
- The first part will focus on the overview of training contents and methods; theoretical and practical aspects of sustainable development; legal basis for strategic planning in FBiH and its link with EU planning practice; key principles in preparing strategic documents in FBiH.
- The second part will focus on key administrative and technical preparatory activities required for successful launch of planning process, with focus on administrative activities that need to be undertaken (i.e. formal decision on the launch of planning process; establishing and orientation of key planning bodies; preparing work plans with timeline and responsibilities and; establishing partnership structures.
- The third and most substantial part of the program will focus on a detailed, step by step elaboration of “know-hows” trough practical examples/templates / tools within each phase of the planning process, while taking into account the requirements stipulated within the relevant legal framework as well as those related to mainstreaming SDGs in strategic documents .
As such, the ToT program should be tailored to be applicable to civil servants from all government levels in FBiH. The content of the Manual can be enriched and deepened by the Consultant.Training materials should include relevant examples, inputs for group exercises and training presentations.The training package will include (but not limited to): (i) Training module agenda; PowerPoint presentation, Hand-outs for participants and/or reading material; exercises for individual/group work, check lists and/or case-studies, reference materials (and brief knowledge test); Training evaluation form; (ii) Training manual for trainers (providing brief guidelines along the power point presentation and group exercises sessions, to be used by potential training providers, thus ensuring equal understanding and minimum quality standards in the follow up training delivery process).
Prior to initiating the training program design, the Consultant will conduct a focus group with selected 5-7 members from target group in order to fine-tune the ToT program approach to the needs and expectations of the target group. The ILDP will be responsible for all logistical aspects in relation to organising the focus group.The final draft of the ToT training will be submitted to ILDP for approval.Task 2 is expected to be completed by the end of January 2020 with estimated level of effort of 10 days.
Task 3 – Pilot delivery of the ToT Program for Preparation of Strategic Documents in FBiHBased on the ToT program designed within Task 2, the Consultant will, together with the expert engaged, conduct a pilot delivery of the training programme in 2 (two) different locations, with up to 25 participants per location. As envisaged, the training program will last two consecutive days. Training participants will be identified by the ILDP. Tentative training delivery locations are Sarajevo and Banja Luka.The ToT program delivery will encourage active involvement of participants by using participatory training techniques, group exercises/discussion, etc.A ToT program evaluation questionnaire will be provided by ILDP while the Consultant is obliged to administer the questionnaire at the end of the training and to collect and analyse feedback from training participants, their perceptions and recommendations and include them in a brief report that will be submitted to the ILDP.The Consultant will be responsible for his/her travel arrangements, while the ILDP will be responsible for overall training logistics. Task 3 is to be completed by mid-February 2020, with estimated level of effort of 5 days.The entire service will be delivered in the languages of BiH peoples.
Deliverables / outputs
# of days per task
Task 1 – Design of Manual for Preparation of Strategic Documents in FBiH
20 work days
15th January 2020
Task 2 – Design of ToT Program for Preparation of Strategic Documents in FBiH
10 work days
31th January 2020
Task 3 – Pilot delivery of the ToT Program for Preparation of Strategic Documents in FBiH
5 work days
a. Corporate Responsibility and Teamwork:
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Plans, prioritizes and delivers tasks on time;
- Strives for and promotes excellence in performance continually;
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others;
- Generates ideas and seizes opportunities to support corporate strategic objectives.
b. People Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests, and concerns of others;
- Builds trust and engenders morale by displaying open, transparent and credible behavior;
- Respects individual/cultural differences; utilizes diversity to foster teamwork;
- Ensures others’ understanding of, involvement in, and adaptation to a change process.
c. Partnering and Networking:
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as work autonomously.
- Plans and ensures quality results to meet established goals.
- Formulates written information clearly and persuasively;
- Shares information openly with co-workers and partners while using discretion to protect confidences;
- Presents information in a clear and articulate manner.
f. Job Knowledge and Expertise:
- Strong analytical skills;
- Advanced writing skills,
- Progressive knowledge of strategic planning at local and higher levels and the related methodologies;
- Strong facilitation and coordination skills;
- Substantive knowledge on security issues and activities with an emphasis on local communities;
- Executes day-to-day tasks systematically and efficiently;
- Initiative and sound judgment.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in social studies, economy, public administration or a relevant field. Advanced degree will be considered as an asset;
- Minimum 5 years of previous experience in capacity development or delivery of technical assistance to public sector beneficiaries, preferably in the area of strategic planning and programmatic implementation.
- Previous experience in design of practical manuals or guidelines in the area of development planning and management
- Previous practical experience in the domain of development strategic planning and management in BiH.
- Previous experience in training design and/or delivery of training to public sector beneficiaries in the area of strategic planning and development processes.
- Specific knowledge of the standardized development planning methodologies applied in BiH is considered an asset.
- Fluency in languages of peoples of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70 points would be considered for the Final Evaluation.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Proven record in design ofpractical manuals or gudielines;
- Personal CV including relevant experience and contact details of at least 3 references.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.
Long/Shortlisting Criteria (Rating based on Qualifications)
max 10 points (5 points allocated for BA/BSc degree; + 3 points for MSc/MA; + up to 2 points for PhD).
Relevant professional experience
max 15 points
Fluency in English and the official languages in BiH.
max 5 points
Technical Evaluation Criteria
Rating based on Qualifications
max 30 points
Previous experience in design of practical manuals or guidelines in the area of development planning and management
max 25 points
Previous practical experience in the domain of development strategic planning and management in BiH.
max 25 points
Previous experience in training design and/or delivery of training to public sector beneficiaries in the area of strategic planning and development processes.
max 20 points