Vi Agroforestry is recruiting a Country Manager to the Country Office in Kigali
Vi Agroforestry (Vi-skogen) is a Swedish development cooperation organisation, fighting poverty and working with sustainable agriculture and land management through agroforestry – growing trees alongside crops and livestock. We do this together with small-holder farming families and farmers’ organisations in four countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda) in and near the Lake Victoria Basin in East Africa. Agroforestry provides increased access to food, access to sustainable energy sources and more income. Agroforestry also contributes to the mitigation of climate change and protects against the negative effects of climate change. Since its inception in 1983, Vi Agroforestry has reached over 2,3 million people through education, advisory and services.
Vi Agroforestry is now recruiting a Country Manager to the Country Office in Kigali, Rwanda. The Country Manager reports to the Regional Director based at the Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya, and is part of Vi Agroforestry's extended manager´s team.
As Country Manager you have the overall responsibility for Vi Agroforestry’s development cooperation in the country. As such, you ensure that all activities are conducted and developed in accordance with Vi Agroforestry´s objectives, policies, strategies, guidelines and working methods, with high quality through systematic planning, monitoring and evaluation. You are responsible to move the organisation forward and look for ways to develop programmes, new partnerships and financing opportunities; all aiming at further reducing poverty in the country.
The Country Manager is the representative of the organisation in the country and keeps up with current issues of strategic value to the organisation in the region and in the country. You are expected to involve yourself in strategic networking, relationship building with strategic actors to identify and develop partnership and funding opportunities in the region.
At this time, the country programme in Rwanda is in a period of transition. You will be responsible for completing the journey from own implementation to working with local civil society organisations, without losing the core expertise of Vi Agroforestry. You know how to work in complex environments, are an experienced development practitioner and stand firmly in a rights-based approach.
Example of tasks:
• Lead and develop the work in the country office according to Vi Agroforestry vision, values and global strategies.
• Participate in the overall development of the strategies and operations in the region
• Responsible for all staff management within the country office
• Overall responsibility for the country office budget and resource mobilisation
• Overall development, coordination and quality assurance of the country programme
• Represent Vi Agroforestry in relevant networks and contexts
To succeed in this position, you know how to work in complex environments, are an experienced development practitioner and an experienced and professional manager. As a leader you are mature and value based, with the commitment, experience and tools to support your staff to succeed in their roles.
As Country Manager it is crucial that you have excellent ability to organise, plan, prioritise and communicate your work. In this you have great analytical skills and a strategic outlook. You work innovatively, know how to identify opportunities and act upon them responsibly. You know what it takes to deliver results and make well-analysed decisions in a timely manner. You share Vi Agroforestry’s vision and values.
• Management experience and staff responsibility with strong leadership skills
• Experience of managing international development cooperation within civil society, preferably in complex environments
• Excellent skills and experience in financial management and budget analysis
• Relevant experience of implementing international development programmes
• University degree or equivalent within a relevant field
• Documented understanding and practical experience of planning, monitoring and evaluation methods commonly used in development cooperation
• Documented conceptual and theoretical understanding of the rights-based approach and civil society development
• Basic knowledge of international development cooperation
• Strong oral and written communication skills in English and communication skills in French.
• Knowledge and experience of working within the fields of SALM, agroforestry, biodiversity, and poverty reduction
Apply by uploading your CV and cover letter to Impactpool. Your application documents should be in English.
The employment is a fixed term position for two years, with possibility of extending one year. Start date May 1st, 2020. The position is open for international candidates.
Vi Agroforestry strives for diversity in the organisation and welcome applicants regardless of gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, religious belief, or disability.
For more information
Maria Schultz, Director Vi Agroforestry, email@example.com
Lena Martens Kalmelid, Regional Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Anna Ryberg, Head of Human Resources, email@example.com
If you have any technical difficulties uploading the application, please contact Impactpool.