The Communications Consultant is responsible for providing support to UNDP’s Communication, Innovation and Partnership Team in its mandate to advance the Country Office’s objectives in communications and advocacy. Specifically, he/she will assist in the design and implementation of Country Office communications and advocacy strategies and action plan, assist in drafting and editing project/partnership proposals and external outreach materials (press releases, speeches, briefings etc.), and support the development of a comprehensive international social media strategy and ensure effective daily management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in developing and implementing an overall communications strategy and action plan to promote UNDP’s work in China to domestic and international audiences.
- Draft, edit and/or provide quality assurance of external outreach and communications materials, including speeches, Op-Eds, success stories, press releases, website write-ups, PowerPoint Presentations, proposals, etc.
- Assist in developing an international social media strategy and coordinate with HQ and RBAP for its implementation; ensure effective day-to-day update and management of CO international social media accounts
- Provide communications advisory as UNDP repositions itself as a go-to-partner for development consultancy and imbed strategic communication as a service line and corporate offer to its government partners in China
- Conduct research on behalf of the Country Office, compiling background materials, statistical data and briefing notes for meetings, high-level visits and meetings, media briefings among others
- Assist in strengthening and maintaining international media relations in order to increase the impact of UNDP’s work, including handling enquiries from international media.
- Support design and rolling out creative and high-visibility social media campaigns for Sustainable Development Goals and other advocacy campaigns under specific Goals;
- Effective communications support and story-telling for UNDP China programmes and projects
- Be available to assist in ad-hoc tasks as required both within UNDP and other UN agencies in China.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables:
The Communications Consultant will be expected to contribute to the work of the Communications, Innovation and Partnerships Team as it strives to help reposition UNDP in China during a period of significant change in the structure and modality of the organisation’s operations. Meanwhile, he/she will provide timely information to senior management enabling informed decisions to be made on political, economic and social developments.
- Effective support to quality assurance of CO external communications materials
- Effective implementation of the communications and publication strategies, including:
- Managing Country office website
- Managing international social media accounts
- Drafting Success Stories and web articles to communicate programmes results and impact
- Drafting Op-Eds to increase UNDP’s policy impact
- Drafting Media advisory, press releases, media Q&A briefings and other media materials
- Advise programme teams in response to their communications needs and efforts
- International media database update and maintenance
- Provide communications advisory as part of UNDP’s development consultancy service offer to government partners
- All other communications support to be provided as needed
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
- The Communications Consultant reports to the Assistant Resident Representative under the Communications, Innovation, and Partnerships Team.
Duration of the Work:
- The duration of this assignment shall be for 1 year.
- Bachelors or higher degree in communications, journalism, business management, marketing, advertising, international relations or a related field.
- Publication-standard English drafting and editing skills.
- Experience in developing and implementing communications strategies and campaign tactics
- Minimal 3 years of working experience in the field of communications, journalism, public-relations, marketing or related fields
- Experience with website management
- Experience with developing and managing social media.
- Demonstrates sound judgment, diplomacy and sensitivity to confidential matters.
- English as native language, Chinese an asset.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Good coordination and organisational skills: Ability to manage multiple projects, address fluctuating priorities and tight deadline.
- Experience and familiarity with UN/UNDP procedures an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
Final selection criteria
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number)
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment, and a methodology, if applicable, on how they will approach and complete the assignment.
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price.
Documents to be included when submitting application
Please provide Offeror’s Letter and proposal (download the format in the link provided:https://pan.baidu.com/s/10nDxkIWGX-VsYkyBhQpXOg (Code:we7r) together with your CV while submitting application.
For people who apply from UNDP Jobs, please note that the system will not accept the uploading of more than one document so please merge or scan all your documents into one prior to uploading.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF THE BEST OFFER
Combined Scoring method – where the qualifications/skills will be weighted a max. of 70%, and combined with the financial offer which will be weighted a max of 30%.The final offer goes to the highest combined score winner.